Old 15th July 2011, 06:16 PM   #1
TSAF

Default Formula boom geometry

Hi,
How do you think geometry of a boom affects your sailing.?
Do wider booms makes the sail more stable, because they are giving more distance from the sail?
Is this a drawback when it is lightwind?
Do superstiff booms like maui become a disadvantage because they don't absorbe anything.?
Also what do you think about front wide section of the boom(al360) instead of more traditional (neilpryde)..?

This article is interesting:
http://www.windsurfingtour.com/?p=2286
TSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Ken

While I have an assortment of carbon formula booms (Maui Sails Formula, wide tail; Newer HPL with the larger diameter and wide tail, and older HPL with standard thickness and narrow tail), The greatest difference I experience is in the weight, and not so much in the stiffness or the advantage/disadvantage of the tail or body width.

Geometry is one issue, but I would like to get some feedback on stiffness as well.

Let me speculate and hopefully some better formula sailors & boom designers will contribute to the discussion.

A softer more flexible boom in a gust should shorten a bit, adding to the depth of the foil, thus increasing the power and reducing the range. I use the older HPL, which is softer than the other booms on my 11.0. This is probably a mistake since the range of the sail is pretty limited for me. 15 knots and I am getting pretty stressed, but I am also 77kg and not a great formula sailor. However, I like the lighter weight of the old HPL.

It's not likely, but would a softer boom on a deep downwind run be better in a gust, deepening the pocket and stabilizing the sail? Just a blind theory, but who knows? Upwind, it seems clear that increasing the foil depth in a gust is not a good thing, so a stiffer boom would be better.

As for boom width in the tail, a wider tail that keeps the sail from creasing over the boom when bagged seems like a good idea. In the front, I am not sure about that benefits, but I doubt that a wider boom has any impact on stability.

At what point (sail size) is the difference between the stiffness of an aluminum boom and a carbon boom become insignificant? I guess it depends on the sailor and conditions. A PWA slalom racer with a 7.6 in 30 knots could probably tell the difference. A advanced recreational sailor with a 7.6 in 20 knots probably can't. What do you think?
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Winterly

Hello, everyone. It is my first time to come here. Thanks for your share. Hope to learn more knowledge from this forum.
Best wishes
Winterly is offline   Reply With Quote