Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 27th August 2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Todd Hume

Default +10% increase in wood board weight for 2012?

Hi there,
Just wondering if someone is able to shed some light on the increase in weight for Futuras in 2012?

I decided to update and upgrade my 09 Futura 93 technora this year so I made an early commitment and pre-ordered a 2012 Futura 93 wood. I got the Starboard email saying that the boards have just been released online so i have jumped on the drool over the specs of my new purchase for the first time. The significant increase in board weight has really got me worried.

2011 wood F93 is 6.44kg
2012 wood F93 is 7.1kg.

My 09 technora F93 weighs in at 6.55kg.

I would say that it is a mistake but the increase is consistent across the new range. Is some cases it is even worst:

Wood Futura 111
2011 - 6.98kg
2012 - 7.9kg

I am really really hoping there is a good explanation for this. I am going to be super disappointed if my new board has just put on 0.66kg of fat.

Can someone please explain?

Thanks,
Todd
Todd Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Todd Hume

I am interested in hearing from someone at Starboard regarding this thread.

If i was to hazard a guess at why there has been an increase in weight then i would say that now the Technora has been dropped Starboard has altered the wood construction method to put a bit of technical distance between the wood and the wood carbon boards. This move may have also been made to make the wood construction cheaper to produce. In this process they have added a significant amount of weight.

As i have based my purchase on the performance of the board i see this as a pretty serious matter. If this is in fact the case i will be cancelling my order.

Would someone like to comment on this?

Thanks.
Old 30th August 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Farlo

Maybe they've added a few layers of material to make the boards more robust, as Technora is over. My ST104 Wood 2005 is 6.5 Kg naked. Excellent shape but the edges are like eggshells. I also noticed that the very first models were a bit lighter.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 12:01 AM   #4
dennisg

I have just ordered a 2012 Futura 131. I would like to know if these weights are correct also. It would be nice if a Starboard member could reply. Is it correct that the other version is a full carbon version now instead of the wood/carbon skin for the 2011 version?
dennisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Todd Hume

Hi Farlo. Perhaps you are right but i have had quite a bit of experience with Starboard woods and i have never had cause for concern about their strength.

If these specs are correct then strength is the only other explanation that i can think of that might justify this this weight increase. But that just does not make any sense. Starboard has had wood as their premium construction method since the 90s. And the key advantage of the wood has always been that they were way lighter... Why change it now?
Old 31st August 2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Farlo

Wood strength is OK but the edges have been quite sensitive to small dings (at least on mine, this is no general statement). It is still the most fragile board I ever had. Maybe they've just put some more Technora in strategic areas as shown in the technology page, but this is just a guess. Comment from SB would be appreciated.
Old 1st September 2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Haggar

An increase in weight of half a kilo would'nt concern me especially if the board was stronger. Different story for an iSonic or iSonic Speed where speed is the main concern. I've ordered a F111 and will be using in bay conditions as well as flat water for GPS.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Unregistered

seriously, still no reply from a Starboard representative?
I think everybody is curious as to why SB made this decision, and especially what the benefits are of merging the Technora and Wood versions into a single board.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Farlo

2010 Futura was available in four different technologies (wood/carbon, wood, technora, turfskin). This was maybe impossible marketing ;-) There is some logic in limiting the range and higher positioning. The new wood version maybe as exciting as the former one and more durable. Fanatic has a similar offer with their STD/LTD Ray, Hawk and Shark. At similar size, the STD Ray 100 is sensibly heavier than my ST104. Probably impact resistance is a bit better (but ST is still my favorite by far).

Last edited by Farlo; 21st September 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 25th September 2011, 05:03 AM   #10
PrydeMan

The wood and technora model may have been combined. Maybe a hybrid wood version.
PrydeMan is offline   Reply With Quote