Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st March 2007, 03:35 AM   #1
Windlover

Default formula with freerace o race sail ?

Hy everybody

For having the earliest planning (ideally 6-7 knods), is it possible to use a freerace sail with a 75% mast? I plan to use the formula board under 12 knods more or less (for now).
Has anyone tried a freerace sail on a SB '05-'06 with low winds?

I'd like to make the right choice

Thanks
Windlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: formula with freerace o race sail ?

Hi Windlover,
To have "the earliest planing" perhaps the new Apollo with a 9.5 m2+
Free Race type sail would be the best combination, but the '05 Formula 159 and the '06 Formula 160 would be good choices as well, but they are not as free ride oriented as the Apollo.
Planing in 6-7 knots really takes the right combination of gear.
I've used Sailworks Retros and Severne Gators on the F-159/160/161 and they get going very early.
A Free Race sail is probably the best type of rig to get "the earliest planing" as they are a little lighter and less complicated and are easier to tune than the big Formula Race sails.
A 75% mast is definitely less expensive, but when you get into the longer, stiffer 490/520 cm or larger masts, the additional weight of the lower carbon content can sure be noticed.
For larger sails, I think the 90-100% carbon masts are really better due to the weight difference.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Windlover,

I think your best option is Formula Experience. In this class they use the F 160 tufskin with Overdrive 7,5 ; 8,5 ; 10 and 11m², depend of their weight and age and they plane realy early.

The new Overdrive works perfectly with the 75 % carbone mast and give for the price excellent results, very close to the full carbone mast and expensive sails, particulary in light winds.

Sails under 3 cams and 7 battens will not give you go performance in light wind and the balance also will really not good.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:43 AM   #4
Windlover

Roger, I'm sure that the Apollo is the best choice, but I'd start with old versions that are less expensive.

Thanks Remi, but for having the earliest planing I think (personal opinion) that less weight is better, this is why I prefer the wood version.

Comparing early planning and speed in low winds, freerace and race sails are equivalent?
Old 22nd March 2007, 09:11 AM   #5
steveC

Hi Windlover,

Just curious, what size sail would you like to acquire, and do you anticipate buying the correct size mast at the same time? Also, I think its wise to ask about your boom, as it's an important focal point in your decision tree. Are you going to go for a carbon boom? Going for the lightest construction formula, even if its a year or two old, kind of suggests that you'll get similar performance benefits from a stiffer carbon boom.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 12:13 AM   #6
Windlover

Hello SteveC,

the size sail I planned to buy is a 9.7 AC2 Point-7 (a new italian brand) with ITS mast. I&#39;d opt for the 75% because the 100% is compulsory for strong wind and I plan to use the formula only in light winds (<12kn). Morover is stronger and cheaper (I&#39;m a student). I can lose 0,5 kg rather than acquire a 100%

The boom...I know that it&#39;s very important, but I have no money, so for now I&#39;d buy an alluminium boom...for light winds it can be a valid alternative with 2 years warranty
Old 23rd March 2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Windlover,

If really would like to have a good equipment for light wind at an afordable price, the Formula Experience equipment will perfect for you.

Just for your information last year at the Formula Youth World Championship, Formula Experience racer finish at some races first in front of racers on full Formula Windsurfing equipment, so their is a difference yes, but not big and for your budget that will really enough and perfect for you.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 12:47 AM   #8
steveC

Hi Windlover,

You know, Remi does bring up some very good points concerning the FE160, especially since you can probably buy a brand new board for similar price as a used formula board. Although a bit heavier, the FE160 would be more durable overall, and the design remains frozen until December 2008. Despite the slight weight penalty, these other pluses tend to elevate the value of the choice overall. If slalom was your goal, there would no question about wanting the lightest top of the line pro level construction. However, with formula type sailing, I believe that there are so many other important factors that come into play that affect performance. Overall, it&#39;s tough to say that the lightest weight would be a silver bullet here.

It&#39;s not clear whether you intend to race at all, but with the sail, mast and boom choices you&#39;re targeting, you would be right in there for racing FE. Something interesting to think about.

Regarding your sail choice, I have to admit that the AC1 sail highlighted in an earlier thread here was a very attractive looking sail. I was quite impressed with its striking graphic design, and I offered my thoughts at the time. Being curious about the AC2, I tried checking out their website, but unfortunately, I had some trouble doing so. Seems that there is some software incompatibility going on. Yet, if the AC2 is as good looking as the AC1, you&#39;ll have a real winner on the beach.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 04:03 AM   #9
Windlover

First, thanks for the reply, you&#39;re the only two...

Now I&#39;m going to think about the FE160.

Regarding the AC1 and 2, the AC1 is beautiful, but the AC2 has a normal design, nothing special... but it&#39;s not important for me, I prefer performances
Races could come later with better equipments.

Thanks a lot!
Old 26th March 2007, 04:38 PM   #10
Pacs

Send a message via MSN to Pacs Send a message via Yahoo to Pacs

Hello Windlover,

I know AC2 in 7.7 size and isnt a normal sail at all. It is very powerfull, moderate sleeve, deep profile sail. Stronge construction. So nice. I use it with iS 122.

I use FE160 board + Severne Overdrive 10m. It is amazing combo! Very durable sail, easy to rig, easy to trim, very powerfull and cambers rotate so well.

You should value your boom options. A 10m rig will work bad if your boom is bad, even using CodeRed/AC1/RS SL etc.

I was use a weak/cheap boom and change to stronger/xpensive one that improove my rig a lot.

A modern freerace (2-3 cambers) sail have a big performance and more durability than pure race sail.

Good luck,

Paco

Pacs is offline   Reply With Quote