Old 28th August 2006, 04:22 AM   #1
Kevin

Default Fin Screws

I need new fin screws for a 2000 Formula 155. I think they are M6s but what sizes are they?

Where can I get them?

I've found a few car shops that sell metric but often not with screw end and harder to find long lengths in stainless.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: Fin Screws

Hi Kevin,

Yes, they are M6 and the lengths will be around 55-60mm and 70mm.

It's also OK to get longer ones( which are these days more standard with many of the new boards) but these must be cut down (or spacered up) to ensure you don't split the fin base head but running the deep end of the screw too far down into the fin base.

I'm not sure o fthe best US source of M6 stainless in those lengths, mostly all the longer stainless readily available in US hardware stores etc is 1/4"x20TPI. Close, but no cigar.

If you are stuck, contact our US distributor office Trident Sports, who will either have a good source they can nominate or most likely can supply these via the dealer network(etc).

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 10:14 AM   #3
steveC

Hi Kevin,

I've had a need to use 6mm stainless steel machine screws, and I've had fairly good luck with "Big Winds" and "The Gorge Shop" in Hood River, Oregon. I think that they know that many fins these days require 6mm screws, so they appear to be focused a bit more on the longer sizes we need, at least in my situations. Probably more expensive than some possible internet sources of supply you might be able to locate, but there could be a reasonable time savings. If you need web addresses, or other contact info, please let me know.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 09:41 PM   #4
G-42

Quote:
Ian Fox wrote:
Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure o fthe best US source of M6 stainless in those lengths, mostly all the longer stainless readily available in US hardware stores etc is 1/4"x20TPI. Close, but no cigar.

Cheers ~ Ian
In the US, stainless steel M6 bolts are readily available at most West Marine locations, w/o too much of a surcharge over 1/4-20 SAE. If no West Marine is close by, many Lowe's locations will have them (at higher prices than SAE fasteners), but usually not Home Depot (based on my limited sample size).

Since 1/4-20 is ubiquitous, and is used by most sailors, just retap your metric barrel nuts to 1/4-20 from M6 - just get a tap from your local hardware store (less than $10 for tap and handle). Retapping M6 to 1/4-20 is easily done - the reverse, however, is not possible (as 1/4-20 thread is much coarser).

You can also just replace the barrel nuts with 1/4-20 threaded ones - they also have those at Lowe's in the specialy fastener drawers, and they're reasonably inexpensive.

Changing over to 1/4-20 will allow you to swap fins with other sailors (especially racers) so you can try stuff out and learn about how it works for you. Plus you'll spend less on replacement hardware when you invariably lose the odd fin bolt (it's generally good practice to keep a ready supply of finbolts in your toolbox at varying lengths - that way, you can easily accommodate that fin you want to borrow and try, or replace one you lost, or make friends on the beach by saving someone else's session for the day when they've lost theirs...)

-Andreas
G-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 12:05 AM   #5
lucofede

Kevin

here you can find a screw chart for all the SB boards

http://2006.star-board.com/products/...screwchart.asp

Best regards

lucofede is offline   Reply With Quote