Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th August 2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default tie the boom

I started windsurfing back when you still had to tie the boom on with rope. My board was a mistral competition light. I had the regatta sail that was basically a triangle, but brought me more fun than I could have ever imagined. I was hooked to the sport instantly. My fingers were nothing but blisters from uphauling but it didn't matter. :-) I remember going to a sailboard shop and an instructor there showed me how to tie a new knot under the boom when the boom was inline with the mast. It was definitely a much easier and tighter knot. Do any of you remember those days?
Old 24th August 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Farlo

Well I remember a similar trick but not sure it's exactly the same. Attach a rope below the boom's head, slightly longer than the mast diameter. When the sail is rigged on the mast, set the boom to max extension and slip it around the mast/sail tll the head is in place and the boom at ~45 up. Then make a loop around the mast, tie the rope to the head, move the clew down till the boom is at 90, adjust extension and outhaul. This gives a very strong knot that will not slip along the mast.

Last edited by Farlo; 24th August 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Ken

Yep, that's one way we did it in the 80's and earlier. I started (bought a board) in late 83.

The problem with the tie on system you mention is that the rope length and knot had to be exactly right. Too long and you had a sloppy boom. Too short and you could crush the mast when pulling the boom down.

Clamp on booms were a blessing.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Farlo

Hi Ken, you beat me by a few years. Congratulations !!

First I had a cleat fixed to the boom head so I could adjust the rope easily, and then make an extra knot for safety. Later I replaced it by a slot to hold the knot, much faster and tighter with a rope of the right length. However I agree this was kind of bricolage compared to "modern" clamping systems that appeared in the early 90's.

Last edited by Farlo; 29th August 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Unregistered

documented it for newbies a while back :-)

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c6db8...C!445&app=Word

jw
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Farlo

Yes this is the simplest and most classical way of doing it, but you end up with the rope above the boom. When uphauling or using the harness a lot the connection can get loose after a while. If you do it the opposite way, the rope below the boom will hold the head firmly against the mast. With this system I never experienced a slippery boom, which happens sometimes also with a clamp, either maladjusted or used.