Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th April 2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Vincent

Default Confused about touch up paint

Hi. I have a nickel sized paint chip that flaked off my Carve 121 Wood board, on the bottom, near the tail. I have tried to locate an "epoxy paint" but no luck at the local AutoZone store. Can I just use any auto touch up paint (the little bottles with the tiny bursh) with no fear of melting nearby paint or damaging the gel coat/fiberglass? I don't really care if the color doesn't match perfectly. I just want to touch it up so it doesn't peel further. Thanks!
--Vinnie
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Confused about touch up paint

Hi Vinny,
Yes, you can "touch up" any small damaged areas of the paint with just about anything.
Enamel, epoxy enamel, the tiny artists spray cans, or automotive paint.
Sand the edges of the chipped out area to taper them down to the next layer, then mask off the chipped area and give it a couple of light coats of paint.
Remove the masking tape and sand with wet/dry 400+ grit abrasive cloth until it blends in with the surrounding paint.
Someone had a good color match about a year ago.
What year is your Carve 121.
I can tell from the serial number if you can still read it.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 01:33 AM   #3
Vincent

Thanks Roger! My board is a 2003 Carve 121 Wood. Sure, if you have a suggested match for the blue bottom color that would be great.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 11:07 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Vincent,
I checked with Eva Holliman (The Board Lady) about what colors she uses, or how you could get a good color match locally, and here's what she suggested:
'weeeell - if, like me, you have a cabinet full of paints, you can start with a color that's fairly close, and then tone it to match. If you don't, you could take a magazine photo of your board to a hardware store and grab a fistfull of those handy color swatches they have for house painting. Take enough to totally bracket the board color (way too green, way too red, way too dark etc - these things are free!), so when you get to look at it all up close & personal and in the sun, you'll surely have one that is spot-on. Take that swatch to have it color-matched by a paint store.
Or paint a smiley face over the chipped spot "
Eva

Eva has previously suggested taking your board to a local automotive paint store that has a color matching setup and having them make you up a quart of paint, but for a tiny chip like yours, that's most likely going to be cost prohibitive.
So, I guess taking a magazine or Starboard Catalog to the paint store and looking through the spray cans and automotive touch up paints may be your best bet.
For those of you who do not know aobut Eva, check out some of her "miracles" on the Board Lady website:
http://www.boardlady.com/
And, Eva is reaching major milestone this week.
She's about to begin repairing her 5.000th board. Yep!
Five Thousand Repair orders.
I guess you could say Eva is pretty much one of the "Best in the
Business"!
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote