Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 28th August 2006, 10:10 PM   #1
MA_Pete

Default Tiesda - Severne Glide Sail?...

Tiesda:

You mentioned on a post related to the Apollo the Severne Glide sail for early planing for an Apollo.

The only thing I could find on the web was this link on the Severne site:

http://www.severnesails.com/testresults/test26.asp

I sail in New England in the US, and have several Starboard boards (F-Type 148, iSonic 125, Carve 122) but seem to spend most of my time of the F-Type due to lighter winds.

I am considering an Apollo next year for even earlier planing than the F-Type, and maybe a Serenity for when planing is not possible. I currently drive 1.5 hours each way to where I sail, so I don't want to make that drive and get completely skunked (like I did yesterday), I want to make the most out of each session.

What more can you tell us about the Severne Glide sail? What size range do you recommend for use with the Apollo? I imagine it would also be good with the F-Type, wouldn't it? In optimizing for earlier planing, do you sacrifice on top speed?

Also, what sail types do you recommend with the Serenity?

Thanks! Keep up the good work on your bold designs that go "outside of the box" so to speak.

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 12:52 PM   #2
PG

Default RE: Tiesda - Severne Glide Sail?...

I would like also Ben Severne to respond to this question about the Glide sail. I asked about the "Glide" sail about a month ago, but ...
===>
In the August 2006 issue of the German Surf there is an article (Segel-Revolution) based on a challenge that was thrown to a few sail makers. The purpose was to design a 7.5 m2 sail with the power of a typical freeride or freerace 9 m2 sail.

According to the magazine some of the contributions did really well, in particular the Severne r0;Glider1; prototype. In fact, the magazine was quite euphoric :-)

The magazine claimed better stability and almost as early planning as a one and a half square meter bigger freerace sail. The downside was slightly lower top speed. It sure sounded like a very good proposition for the regular Joe on the beach...

Are there any plans to put a sail similar to the r0;Glider1; prototype into production? If not, why would that be?

What do these sails require from the board? Every board has a maximum sail size that it can comfortably carry. A 65 cm wide board may carry a typical 7.5 m2, while a typical 9m2 requires a board that is 75 cm wide. How does an extremely powerful 7.5 m2 sail fit into this scheme? What size of board is required to carry it? Is it a 65, 70 or 75 cm wide board?
<===
In fact, the Surf challenge has already yielded a production sail. Check out "http://www.sailloft.de/de/02segel/traction.htm". It helps if you know german, or feed the article through an online translator (try babel fish).

PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Tiesda You
Dream Team Designer

Hi Pete,

I really don&#39;t know too much about the Glide sail and where it&#39;s at in terms of its development, production and availability. It just happened to be there on the beach one day when I was testing the Phantom so I gave it a go. It was fascinating. To me it was a bit like trying a widestyle freeride board for the first time. More-fun-more-easy-more-of-the-time, you know?

For Serenity, I use a regular twin cam 8.5 that I rig with little downhaul and maybe 1cm of outhaul if anything. Basically keep the sail shape as full as possible without having a sloppy bag.

Thanks for your encouragments Pete. If we can guarantee you a good windsurfing session after every 1.5 hour drive no matter how light the wind, well we&#39;ll be pretty stoked ourselves!

Tiesda
Tiesda You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 08:11 PM   #4
MA_Pete

Tiesda:

Thanks for the reply. I have contacted Severne directly about the Glide, they promised to get back to me with more info soon. Sounds like it might be a good fit for marginal days on the F-Type 148, and for the Apollo if I end up getting one of those.

I have 8.5 and 9.5 no-cam Sailworks Retros, that are very tunable and can be set very full as you describe above, so I would bet the 8.5 would be a good match for the Serenity based on what you describe.

I look forward to seeing more reports and tests of the Apollo and Serenity as they become available, and hopefully get a chance to check them out myself somewhere.

For now, I head to Rhode Island today to get out on the winds that are building as a result of Tropical Storm Ernesto!

Thanks.

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006, 02:13 AM   #5
Per

Very interesting topic. Check this
http://www.severnesails.com/testresults/test26.asp
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006, 11:49 AM   #6
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

What Tiesda didn&#39;t mention were all the Severne distributors who (right now, in Thailand, in perfect marginal slalom conditions) have just ahd the opportunity to test the Glide 7.5m head to head against many other options (C2, Overdrive and more) in larger sizes..

Reaction was clearly as per the Surf Mag test, no one dissapointed and everyone agreeing the potential for this is very positive. The Glide has a very "light" feel (as well as actual weight) - but most of all is very and easily pumpable, in an easy and not physically extreme manner.

My own experiences testing the Glide include some classic sessions on the Serenity; Glide is in many ways the ideal Serenity rig and allows a very complimentary wind range - one major feature being easy and light to pump effectively with the Serenity to generate an easy glide (no pun intended) in virtually no knots. In Naklua I&#39;ve been sailing Dawn Patrol in 0 thru (up to) 12-15 kts in this combo, and it&#39;s been very enjoyable indeed. Slalom side, Glide with iS122 and 133 it&#39;s also very good, tested with Per (63kg) and Svein (73kg) on 133&#39;s/OverDrive 8.5m&#39;s, with iS122 / Glide 7.5m I was able to pump and plane as early in the wind range.
Mid range speed was OK , final top end was a bit down in that tuning (especially pinching upwind) but light wind range was sensational.

The Glide was presented as a product to the worldwide distributors meeting this week, there is still some final pre-production detailing to do - but expected factory release schedule for customer sails will be around Jan 2008 (subject to production schedules etc).

Stay tuned..

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006, 10:12 PM   #7
Screamer

Hey Tiesda or Ian,

I have to bring this to the top (unanswered):
http://www.star-board.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=6&thread_id=21191
I asked because it&#39;s the only thing I can compare with Serenity (presumably). Any thoughts?
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 02:43 PM   #8
PG

The Severne 2007 WEB site has been launched, but no Glide sail. Any ideas when we can expect it to emerge from the loft&factory?
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 04:40 PM   #9
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

The Glide might be missing from the website currently (well spotted PG) but it&#39;s certainly outside back cover of the print catalog, so no hiding it there ! Schedule is still on for early 2007 release ex factory, so availability in your locations after that would be related to import schedules/seasonal shipments etc.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 03:36 PM   #10
Tiesda You
Dream Team Designer

Hi Pete,

I just received a link to another Serenity test report by Windsurfing mag in the US. It&#39;s pretty cool, take a look.

Tiesda

http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=44211
Tiesda You is offline   Reply With Quote