Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 16th August 2006, 08:24 PM   #1
matt535

Default Fixed Width v Extensible Width Forum

Why have used a basic fixed width design for your forum? Many people invest a lot of money to have a nice screen like a 19" screen or larger say 1280 x 1024 ... but then you fix your forum width to about 800 wide.

Please investigate an extensible web design.
matt535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 12:28 PM   #2
matt535

Default RE: Fixed Width v Extensible Width Forum

This is a simple question but no reply.

Is this too advanced for the php/html skills of the website administrator?
matt535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

I am not involved in the web design side of things at all, but from my "external" point of view, I would think that this is a layout question and something that is choosen to make it likely that as many people as possible sees the same thing the web designer want the visitors to see. Even with a big screen, extedning the forum a lot (but staying with the same font) would give you super long lines, not easy to read. A problem with the current way of using an 800 pixel wide format (or whatever) is that the higher the resulition of your monitor, the smaller the fonts will appear, I guess. On my system however (Mac 0S X + safari) I can press apple-+ (command +) and get a magnified view which than is presented in a wider format when you go for really big appearance fonts.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Steen2000

Maybe you can take this otherwise pretty un-important complain and use it as an idea in your product development. Extendible widht on the boards, that would be something !!
:-))
Steen2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 02:41 AM   #5
Phill104

Just look at all the best sites in the world, such as http://www.bbc.co.uk and you will see most stick to a fixed width.

It takes a lot of effort to layout a complex page well if the width is constantly changing. It's not a problem with text only pages like forums but when you start including images and other graphic elements things become more complex.

Take a look at the banner on http://www.windsurf.me.uk and you will see that this is made up of three elements to make it extendable. The centre element gets obscured when at 800 but is gradually revealed as the width increases. Above 1600 wide gaps apear between the three images hence me probably opting for a fixed width in future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote