Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 8th May 2007, 07:07 PM   #1
robiceci

Default HELP HELP HELP

I'm a returning windsurfer and after more than a decade I would like to restart. I'm 187 cm tall and my weight is approx 95kg. Would the GO 139 be a good choice? It seems that it's a good board to restart while remaining a good package after having restarted. Should I use a 8 or 9 sqm sail? And in case of wind drop (which sometimes happens on our lake) will I sink???

Can anybody confirm VERY SOON? I have blocked the last board at my shop, but I want some external advice.

Thank you.
robiceci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 08:10 PM   #2
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default RE: HELP HELP HELP

i can easily float on my Go 139 and im 60ish kilos. I don't know, maybe the 155 would be a better route, mind you I don'tknow what you want to use it for, a getting back into the sport board with cruising/freeride potential? the 139 or 155 would be your best bet. The board does handle sails well, mind you my biggest sail is a 7.6 so...

The fstock fin is awsome too. I just wish ther were inboard strap settings. You might be better off with the carve 144 or something. More suited to people who have some idea on what they are doing. But that would be my choise, just answered cause you wanted a fast answer
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 02:15 AM   #3
Phill104

Quote:
robiceci wrote:
And in case of wind drop (which sometimes happens on our lake) will I sink???
No, you wont sink. As a very rough guide 1ltr of volume will support 1kg of sailor plus you need to add another 20kg for your rig and wetsuit. That gives you plenty of room with a Go139.

It is also a very wide board which aids float and stability so you should find it ok. The Go range are suprisingly good and very good value for money. You will have a lot of fun on one.

Before you gave up, what was your standard of sailing? If you were planing in the straps and gybing then a Carve might be another option. They are a higher performance board and hence cost more but are lighter and more agile, could be fun. The Go is built to be a bit tougher and will take more abuse though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 07:18 PM   #4
robiceci

Thank you for useful information. I'm happy to know that the GO139 which I will get for a special price is a good board even for my weight.

I'll let you know how is it going. If you don't hear again from me, check the italian newspapers.

Ciao.
Old 9th May 2007, 10:23 PM   #5
robiceci

OK, I took it. Hoping that now the TEAM will not jump into this thread and just say "Hey you, what do you think to do on a GO139 with your 95 kgs???"

A this point the second question: what do you think if I buy a light sail with a short mast and boom for my 11 y.o. daughter who would love to try? Do you think she's too young? She's 150cm tall and weights 35kg. Just to start sailing... it should work, shouln't it?

Ciao,

Roberto
Old 11th May 2007, 11:48 PM   #6
robiceci

HEY !!!!!! The shop is offering me a HYBRID FORMULA instead of GO139. They say that I would have more fun especially at the beginning! WHAT TO DO????

PLEASE, HELP!
Old 12th May 2007, 01:26 AM   #7
Phill104

Personally, I would go with the Go if you want to learn carve gybes, planing or sailing in high winds. It is lighter and more manouverable.

The Hybrid Formula is more of a specialized racing board with a narrow target audience. If you have a local Hybrid fleet that you wish to join then it might be fun, otherwise the Go is a better option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote