Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th May 2007, 10:41 AM   #1
MA_Pete

Default More on Formula Boards with Freeride/Freerace Sails

Hey there!

They has been a bit of chatter here recently on whether or not Freeride/Freerace sails are good on Formula boards for recreational sailing.

Well, after much debate (see threads below here), in choosing between an Apollo, an F-Type 158, a Formula 161 and a Formula Experience 160, I got the Formula Experience 160, primarily for its low cost and durability, and because I have already owned the F-Type 158 and 148, and wanted to try a Formula board.

I am 155 pounds (~70 kg), and do strictly recreational sailing. I have Sailworks Retros (no-cam Freerace) 9.5 and 8.5 (the reason I didn't go 10.0 and 8.5 is because the 9.5 and 8.5 both rig on the 490, but sometimes on those really light days I wish I had the 10.0).

I was out this weekend with the Formula 160, one day with the 9.5, and the other with the 8.5, and I had a blast. It took a little experimenting to get the mast foot position dialed in, but once I did, it was great. (I am just forward of center with the 8.5, and a couple of cm from the front with the 9.5, will play around with that some more.)

I am very happy with my purchase, and I am glad I didn't get another F-Type. The F-Types were awesome for me to get started on, but I like the Formula better. In my opinion it handles chop much better, very easy to get riding on the fin and the leeward rail and just float over the chop, a pretty cool feeling! I also think the Formula fully powered up is faster upwind. (I am still working on my downwind technique...)

Due to my light weight and willingness to pump like a madman, I am typically one of the first on the water, if not the first, to get planing. The extra weight of the Tufskin FE probably slightly affects the ability to get planing (and staying planing in lulls) versus a wood Formula Board, but it doesn't seem to be too bad. (Haven't sailed a wood one, however.)

So I can highly recommend the Formula boards for recreational sailing, and Freerace sails like Sailworks Retros seem to match up pretty well with them. (And of course don't forget that adjustable outhaul!)

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 11:48 AM   #2
rod_r

Default RE: More on Formula Boards with Freeride/Freerace Sails

Hi Pete

I have to agree with you. I've had a FF158 and an Ft158, but now have a lovely old 2001 F155 wood. I know it's getting a bit long in the tooth, ( but then so am I :-) but I am enjoying the thicker boxier rails of the formula design over the freerace design of the FT.

I use mine with a Simmer zero seven 9m which is a 7 batten RAF sail.

I much prefer the more locked in feeling the formula gives. I never really worked out why you'd even try to make a board like this a "nice jiber" by rounding the tail and losing that solid underfoot support. For me sailing such big boards and sails, a nice jibe is the last thing on my mind :-).

BTW the F155 is a real rocketship. I've passed more people on the f155 with either the 9m Simmer or an old 1998 7m North Spectro than on any other board. And the straps seem to be positioned perfectly.
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Per

Default RE: More on Formula Boards with Freeride/Freerace Sails

Hi Pete and Rod..
I agree with both of you (except I had the 155 too once and didn't really like it ;-)..
I've got a formula 159 and use it with a 8.5 (will probably get a bigger one day) and I have absolutely no negative observations about this set up (won't win races though). And as true as it's said it doesn't make sense to de tune a formula board to make it an easy jiber. There are plenty of other options in this category like bigger Carves, Go's etc.
The stance on my 159 is perfect even with the relatively small sail. It's powerfull, points very good, goes downwind very good, planes very good, so no problem in having a good freeride blast on a formula with a "smaler" freerace sail.B)
Per is offline   Reply With Quote