Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 31st May 2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Randy

Default Serenity Q

Has anyone tried sailing the Serenity standing in front ofthe sail, pushing against the leeward side of the boom. In this stance you back is facing your forward direction. Its strange, but in light winds (say 5 mph) it seems faster and more powered than the conventional stance. I've noticed this on other longboards, but it seems rather pronounced on Serenity. I'm assuming that it has something to do with getting your weight more forward on the board, but not quite sure. (I know a Sunfish sails much quicker in light winds if you get your weight forward, for ex.)

Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 03:15 AM   #2
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Default RE: Serenity Q

Randy,

Yep, tried it but I'm not sure this is faster : nose pearled more than usual. Acceptable when going upwind agaisnt steep chop or dead downwind in 1-2 knots of wind.

However, in true 5 knots of wind, faster so far is to stand behind the carryhandle to decrease the wetted hull surface : typical board speed of 7-10 knots are reliably reached with a big 10.6 sail, mast-track set at 50% and stock 70 cm fin. At 7-8 knots board speed, the nose is rising above the water at the level of the painted tiki's feet. At 10 knots board speed, the nose is above the water up to the mast-track level and at 12 knots board speed, almost half of the hull is above the water up to the carryhandle level, sort of planing at top speed (riding the stock 70 cm fin at such high speed starts to become a real balancing and steering challenge as well).

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Randy

I was using a 7.4 sail (which I've used for nearly all my Serenity sailing), and probably a little less wind. I'm wondering if by using a larger sail you are already getting lots of forward drive to push the nose down, so when you move to the front as I did, their is too much force forward. I plan to try my 9.5 one of these days.

BTW - 10.6 in 12 knots seems like a lot of sail for Serenity! I usually switch to my early planing board before that.

Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 12:12 AM   #4
vikingsail

I have sailed my serenity on the lee side with a 6.5 retro. I actually find it easier to tack, doing a helicopter tack and also find it easier to jibe , doing a leeward pivot jibe. Leeside is nice cause you don't have to worry about changing your stance, but in the jibe you can't see where you're going during the maneuvers. So far I've found that the board goes the speed of the wind, but am waiting to try it when there are some white caps.
vikingsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Randy,

I think you misunderstood what I said. In 7-8 knots of wind, board speed is toping at about 12 knots with the 10.6 sail. This is time to jump on the HS105 with the same sail, up to 12 knots of wind with my 65 kg. So, the board + 70 cm fin combo is clearly becoming the limiting factor to further speed increase and not the sail by itself. True, in higher wind, a smaller sail should be fine on the Serenity as long as the board speed doesn't exceed 12 knots, i.e., when half of the hull is raised above the water at the level of the carryhandle. I surmise the same speed toping at ± 12 knots will occur, whatever the sail size in stronger wind. I don't know if anybody has reached a board speed higher than that, especially with a small fin ?

Bigger sail doesn't sink the nose down IMHO. An extremely baggy 10.6 does it but a flatter trim does not (both with mast track set at 50%). In other words, when the CE is way far forward, the nose can pearl and I need to move my weight a bit more aft. When the CE is further back, no pearling problems. In both case, standing behind the carry handle proved to be optimal so far. Further testing/fine tuning/tweaking remains to be done I reckon...

Agree, give your 9.5 sail a trial on your Serenity, I bet you might be surprised how quickly you can go in very light wind.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote