Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 11th June 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Klint

Default Replacing my S-type 115

Hi,

I have a three board quiver consisting of Kombat 87w, s-type 115 d-ram and iSonic 122w.

I’m now looking to replace the s-type 115 in favor of something smaller, faster, which can handle chop and strong winds even better and also due to the fact that I feel there’s a certain overlap between the st115 and the iS122. I already have a buyer for the st115 so keeping it is not an option.

What I’m looking for is a slalomy blasting board that sits just sweet in between the K87 and the iS 122. I intend to use 7,0 + 6,0 + 5,4 nocam freeride sails on the smaller board I’m now going for. When the wind drops a bit I’m on iS and 7,5 or 9,0 cammed freerace sails. When the wind picks up or waves are building up I’m on K87 and 4,7 or 5,4 crossover sails.

I have considered the s-type 104, s-type 93 and even the iSonic 94. Rider weight 85 kgs with some 10 years experience of our sport. I sail costal conditions with equal amounts of swells, chop and mirror flat sweet blasting waters. What do you recommend me to get?

thanks!

/ Andy
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 12:48 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: Replacing my S-type 115

Have you thought about the iS101? Seems to fit right in there very well between your Kombat and the larger iS. I wouldn't let your intent to use no cam sails dissuade you. Personally, I really like matching up no cams with my slalom boards, as they free things up quite a bit, especially in the transitions.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Duracell

K87 == fun bumping around?
-> ST104 Technora
I've seen ST104 Wood with lots of cracks
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 05:09 PM   #4
matty

Quote:
Duracell wrote:
-> ST104 Technora
Have you had some bad luck with a board or two? All you seem to ever do is moan.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Klint

steveC,

Still consider the iSonics to be a viable option for a smaller blasting board, but I’m leaning more and more towards some of the smaller s-types. Have no experience with a dedicated slalom board paired with no cam freeride sails, but according to you it should be a good match.

If I was to choose between the ST 93 and ST 104, which one do you think would suit my quiver and sailing conditions the best?
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 11:00 PM   #6
Phill104

I had a ST104 and found 7.0 to really be it's upper limit. I weigh the same as you.

If you're more often in flat or choppy water then th iS is great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 12:18 AM   #7
isonic

Quote:
If I was to choose between the ST 93 and ST 104
st 104

93 IS TOO CLOSE OF k87
isonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 12:29 AM   #8
Phill104

Quote:
isonic wrote:
Quote:
If I was to choose between the ST 93 and ST 104
st 104

93 IS TOO CLOSE OF k87
I wouldn't say they are too close. I volume terms yes, but in type of ride and conditions that you would use them there is a big difference.

I used to have a ST104 and a K97. They took the same sails but depending on my mood and the prevailing conditions I would choose wich one to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 02:56 AM   #9
steveC

Hi Andy,

Well, if it's a choice between the ST93 and the ST104, I would think it best to consider your most often sailed conditions. If the likelihood of powered conditions (4.7 to 6.0) is more often the call, I think the ST93 would come out ahead. However, if conditions in the 6.0 to 7.0 range are more likely, especially if the chances of a sudden lightening of the wind are also part of your normal scene, than the ST104 makes more sense because of the extra volume. In reality, the two boards are actually very close in dimensions, hence the same recommended ceiling sail size (6.5).

I guess there's another thing to consider in the mix, and that would be the water conditions (swell and chop). In my locale, the wind and water conditions can sometimes be unrelated, as the swell can be coming from a totally different direction, or it can be coming from a great distance away. If you experience similar conditions, the smaller board would tend to be less flighty overall.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Duracell

Quote:
matty wrote:
Quote:
Duracell wrote:
-> ST104 Technora
Have you had some bad luck with a board or two? All you seem to ever do is moan.
Not true (moan) and yes (eye witness (n*)as well as personal experience (1*)) I've seen banged up ones (wood).

ST104 Technora will be tons of fun, wood too, but a more radical sailor will prefer coming home on an intact board at the time of his choice and not his boards (e.g. because its filling up with water or some other fatal catastrophy...)
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote