Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th June 2007, 04:26 AM   #1
Frederic

Default I sonic 145 VS F-Type 138

Hi,

I had a T-type 138 dram, I was very happy with it but I change with a I-Sonic 145 technora, unfortunetly, this I sonic 145 seems to be not as good as my F-type in light wind condition, I feel very unstable on it, I explain, on the F-type, upwind or downwind , my position was locked on the board, it was very stable and quick and I could sail for hours, with the I-sonic 145, I always fight and move all the time to keep the board stable, I become tired very easy with this way of windsurfing. I use a the loft O2 freerace 8.4m2, I am 1.75m and 70kg. I have sailed already more then 10 times on the I-sonic 145 and I realy can't be easy on it like my former F-Type, can you explain what is the advantage of the I-sonic 145 versus the F-type 138 because in the moment, I only feel to get back a F-type 138.

thanks
Frédéric
Frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 06:10 AM   #2
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: I sonic 145 VS F-Type 138

How powered up is the sail? I did a comparison between my F-Type 148 and the iSonic 155. I found them to be similar. But I would say the F-Type was a little friendlier and slower. Basically, I found I had to focus more on making the iS155 perform compared to the FT148... not much but a little.

With my iSonic 105, I found it very easy to sail when fully powered up, but when not, you have to work at it a lot. I wouldn't have expected this to be the same for the larger iSonics. I didn't notice enough difference for me to say this is the case.

Sorry, that I can't confirm what you are describing. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer/explanation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 02:18 AM   #3
HanekomDJ

The F-type 138 is one of the best user friendly, fast boards in that range/type I have ever sailed. New boards is not always better. Don't sell it, or buy it back. It is like my old Carve90, one of the best. Dian.
HanekomDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 06:07 AM   #4
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots

My brother just sold his isonic 135 because lack of 'easy lowwind' freeriding.

This is what you can try to get a bit of bottomend back. And easy going.

Straps is closest positions. (close stance)
Masttrack in back.
Boom pretty high.
Pretty long lines.

You have to change your style a bit.

When you have above setup you will plane pretty soon and comftable.

When to much backfoot pressure lower the boom and forward masttrack.

Try to balance your sail right above the board. In very lowwind you can pul the sail a bit over yourself.

I am dutch and I hope you understand a bit. Try some things, or dont, and go back to f-type. My brother doesnt want that to tune his kit, and just want to go. Isonic is NO board just to GO. It is a board that rewards technique, and input. But when bad tuned... it isnt that much fun

My brother will not go back to starboard because HIS board (f-type/freeformula) is gone. He is planning to buy something like JP freerace/ fanatic shark?/ bic superblast.

I dont understand Why SB replaced F-type for big Isonic. The F-type fans are more freeracers who dont want tuning shit.
The pure racers buy formula board...

Why make the perfect always sold out F-type more difficult????

For what kind of surfer are the bigger ISonics made??? I dont know/understand.

Dont get me wrong I still respect for SB, and all genius boards... just had a go on a Gemini (Wonderfull!)
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 09:14 AM   #5
steveC

Sometimes adjustments are necessary to move on. However, there are times where some folks don't want to move on for one reason or the other. It can come down to holding on to what you like until some more appropriate comes along. However, it could be that one's focus needs to be adjusted to a slightly different shape/design to better optimize fun. Something worth thinking about.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 04:21 AM   #6
Duracell

Erik, if your brother wants speed (up or down the wind) he shouldn't go for a superblast (could only barely keep up on a reach), smoked that one every time I see/saw it with ST137, iS133 or ST115 didn't really matter.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 05:37 AM   #7
Erik Loots

Is the Bic superblast not that good I can't really tell.

Bic is very small in Netherlands with no test oppurtunities. Thank you Duracell for respond. We are still looking for a board.

But understand me good the requirements my brother wants

(and every freeracer/rider I think)

1) Easy/ comftable stance
2) Easy tuning
3) Wide wind range
4) Good in sub planning (HERE DO SHORT BOARDS FAIL)
5) crosswind speed

These thing are less important
- Gybing speed
- Upwind speed
- Downwind speed
- Acceleration
- Good @ windholes

The short board concept is good and works very well for me! But I had now 10 people that sailed the isonic and dont liked it because of it short lenght and understability in sub planning. The isonics are good selling, but in the local shops I see a lot used Isonics against the walls...

For me (pure racer/speeder) the requirements are all around. I just want upwind/downwind speed. Fast planning High topspeed etc.

THIS is the difference I think, And why WE (after 5 years SB) wont buy a SB back.

Boardoptions we where thinking:

JP Freerace 145 2005
JP xciteride 14* 2007
SB Freeformula 168 2004
Bic blast
Bic superblast
Fanatic Shark
some others???

BTW my brother doesnt like the carve, it just will not work??? He wants easy speed (with NP V8). He found the carve a strange/slow ride.

If there are some good suggestions, dont keep it for yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Starboard iSonic woodcarbon 107, iSonic speed special W54, iSonic speed special W44
Sonntag Fins
Severne Reflex Sails
Old 25th June 2007, 08:09 AM   #8
steveC

Notwithstanding my earlier comments, I have ultimately found that some folks aren't well suited to be windsurfiers, and it could be that your brother might be one of those folks. My brother didn't find windsurfing viable or interesting overall, so I had to be more understanding of others and their wishes. While I'm not saying directly that your situation is the same, it's something to consider thoughtfully.

I can easily say that most of the boards that I have bought over the years were immediately awesome, and surprisingly easy and rewarding in nature. Despite my positive experiences, there's that chance that a targeted design isn't well suited to someone's desired needs. That might require seriously considering a different design/product focus.
Old 25th June 2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Erik Loots

No steveC you are this time wrong!

UNderstand me very well: There is for everyone a good windsurfstuff

3 years ago my brother was on starboard start
2 year ago my brother was on Freeformula 168 with NP v8 8.5&9.8
1 year ago on isonic 135

He Really likes the freeformula and start. He is recreational surfer, he doesnt want to be the fastest. It is just about the feeling of windsurfing, in the most relaxing conditions: like 12kn and sun

Than he bought the isonic 135, this resulted in higher speeds (of course) my brother hitted >33knots on the board. He is fast, and overtakes allmost everyone, BUT HE DOESNT HAVE FUN.

1) He hates to tune it
2) He hates to change gear
3) He hates to change style

this results is bad surfdays with minimal time on water! The gear is 90% of the time over or underpowerd.

I think that 90% of the surfers dont want it all, they just want to have fun, and that doesnt mean 5kn faster at a certain course.

SteveC and people like me (and mostly other forum users) we are really stoked to use new stuff and better our technique. We want that xtra knot. But we are a lot smaller group.

In the netherlands slalomboards are the hype, a lot people buy them (we had 3 isonics, 1 still here) But when you watch the surfers on slalomboards you will see them standing 50-75% of the time on shore. This is what I mean, when I was on the water, I NEVER saw my brother! He was surfing 15km // 10 miles a day! He came from 80km 50mile AND A BIG SMILE

2011 Starboard iSonic woodcarbon 107, iSonic speed special W54, iSonic speed special W44
Sonntag Fins
Severne Reflex Sails
Old 26th June 2007, 02:15 AM   #10
steveC

Hi Erik,

I can appreciate what's you're saying here. Frankly, I personally don't like stuff that's too fussy and narrow in application, as you can often feel you're on the wrong side of the equation. However, a good slalom board doesn't have to be high strung and tough to work with. Yet, finding the right rockerline isn't always that easy. I've been very lucky with slalom boards (never a miss), but for a number of years I had a tough time getting a surfy freeride board to my liking that was fun to blast about on but still could be maneuverable in lightwind surf conditions. After 3 failures in a row, surprisingly, it was my slalom board shaper that came up with the right solution with a versatile freeride design that offered a very friendly balance that was fast, easy to ride and still quite maneuverable in waves.

Getting back to the heart of this thread, there's an important issue to keep in mind. I don't want to dwell on a bunch of negativity, but in my opinion, I think that the yearly change mode so common today across many of the production brands can have its real disadvantages. The next years' design tweaks don't always offer a better product. With things constantly in flux, it makes things very tough for a sailor to find that perfect product and then feel good over the long haul. When I buy a new board, I intend to keep it for 5-7 years at minimum, so I tend to be immune to the yearly hype and the whole fashion of having the latest and greatest. Sounds to me like your brother would do well following a similar strategy.

Of course, that doesn't solve his problem of finding the perfect design. I might be out of school here, but has your brother looked into the higher volume Carbon Art designs. Phil McGain is a real demanding guy, and sailing in Maui requires really balanced shapes to handle the challenging conditions. CA might be an interesting avenue to consider. The fact that you have already stepped into that arena with your speed boards might offer some added dimension.