Old 20th June 2007, 01:04 AM   #1

Default Wind indicators

I saw wind indicators on "Optimist". They were made of narrow nylon ribbons and sticked to both sides of sail. Does anybody uses wind indicators on windsurfing sails? How to make them not to stick to monofilm when wet? Or there are different constructions for ws?

I think they could be very usefull to go faster or in shifty wind conditions.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 01:49 AM   #2
AlexWind

Default RE: Wind indicators

I spent many years on Optimist, what a "boat"!
What you see are not wind indicators (they have a small flag on top of the mast for this use..): they help you to keep your sail correctly closed.
They have 2 "wool" stripes in each of the sail sides, two red and two green usually.. They also have a stripe on the leech for downwind side of the curse.
In windsurfing last time I've seen them was in dacron sails!! In monofilm sails I've never seen them.

I think in nowadays windsurfing they'd not be as useful as they are on boats cose a skillfull rider can "feel" the wind changes in his hands better than looking at the stripes on sail. and when wet, as you suppose, they wont work, maybe if the were made in plastic, but I'm not sure..
AlexWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 03:47 AM   #3

"Feeling" is not enough. Different people has different sences dominating. For some people visual indicators can tell much more than boom pressuro on hands.

How does stripe on the leech for downwind works?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 06:44 AM   #4
steveC

I should emphasize that I don't have a yachting/dinghy background, but I think I might be able to offer a reasonable perspective with respect to windsurfing. I think that AlexWind is right on track here about the "feel" needed in windsurfing, because I think that windsurfing requires an intuitive sense about wind, water conditions, the desired direction and especially the sailor's response to everything at hand (and through the feet). It must be remembered that speeds can be far greater, and that a windsurfer isn't sitting down in a position that allows one the easy opportunity to assess how telltales would influence performance. Really, a windsurfer must concentrate on what's happening ahead to best formulate the best strategy. That definitely doesn't rule out the advantages of deciphering the best racing techniques under the circumstances, but again, I think that performance requirements must be more intuitive in nature.

In reality, given the number of years windsurfing has been around, and particularly thinking about the fact that competitors always leverage off of obvious advantages, why doesn't anybody use telltales in windsurfing compeitions? No doubt, this says a lot about things, at minimum, concerning the value of telltales in windsurfing.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Philip

When I came from a multi hull background in the early years I did use telltales on my TC Spacer sail. And a long streamer off the top of the mast was also popular during those times. Mind you the centre of effort of the sail was all over the place whereas today with a good freerace sail or better, the sailor can (as mentioned by others) focus on what is ahead rather than the sail. How much to sheet in during gusts is something that becomes hard wired into memory as does lining up the forces when beating. Whether the rig is properly downhauled or outhauled can be felt and heard more directly than on a boat where the sheet is run through pulleys and cleats.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote