Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th September 2006, 01:52 AM   #1
AMZ2003

Default jp 111 vs evo 90

I?m looking to upgrade from my jp freestyle 111 to a new evo 90, I actually use the jp for light wind wave riding. Allthougth it is not a wave board, its early planing make it good for me.
My question is, will I loose much planning power with the change?, if so other starboard to recomend me? Thank you and regards.
AMZ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 02:59 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: jp 111 vs evo 90

It will depend a lot on your technique, weight and sail size. In short, the less refined technique, the heavier and the bigger the sail, the more advantageous the 111 liter freestyle board will be. This goes for flatwater and on the way out. Once on a wave the EVO will plane super early.

For me at 70 kilos and using a 6.0 sail or something, an EVO 90 gets going pretty much as early as a big freestyle board but it requires more work in doing so.

The reason for getting an EVO will be wave riding. If you're into that the EVO will simply blow your mind. It just makes people ride light wind waves better. You pay for this magnificent riding capabilities by having to work more to plane early.

If you want something that rides far better than your JP freestyle but still also is easy going wrt planing and stuff, you could look into the new Kombats. They have real wave rockers and hold a rail in fast turns exceptionally well, but are not as easy to rip on in smaller waves as the EVOs.

Tell us more about the conditions, how you sail, your weight, sail size, other boards etc and we may be able to give a bit more specific advice.

Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 03:40 AM   #3
Dolf

Hi AMZ2003,

With my 83 kg I find the big wide Evo 90 fairly easy to plane so I didn't notice that much difference in that aspect with the JP. I noticed more that the JP's were a bit faster, but the Evo's more than compensate with being more manoeuvrable and just plain fun. Interesting comment from Ola that the Kombat is kind of down the middle and may give you your best compromise.
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 07:37 AM   #4
AMZ2003

Thanks for your messages guys. I?m 73 kg and will use the evo 90 with 5.7 and may be 5.0 conditions.
Another comment: a few days ago I changed my jp 84 2004 wave board for a 2006 74 evo. I?m impressed by this radical board and its planning power. In the big white water, nothing stop it. Riding waves, botton turns, are easy as never before. That?s why I?m looking for a bigger evo for ligth wind conditions.
AMZ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Dolf

I use my 5.8 with my E80 and my 5.3 on the E74. Therefore with your specifications if I had only one board I would go with the E80, but since you already have the E74 the E90 should maximize your light wind sailing. It feels significantly floatier and quicker planning than the E74. With my weight my E92 is my most used board.
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

I agree with Dolf, the E80 would be the spot on board for 5.0 and 5.8 at 73 kilos. However (again agreeing) the E90 will provide lots of extra float which may be welcome sometimes. For me, the E80 pretty much planes as early with a 5.8 but the 90 is more comfy at slow speed.

The E90 will be perfect partner for the 74, they are very similar and the 90 does in smlwer smaller waves what the 74 does in slightly bigger or faster stuff. Regarding the planing: If you like the 74, then you will have no problems whatsoever on the 90.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 10:20 PM   #7
lookkc

Just back into sailing after many years onto an 05 Evo 92. Most awesome fun for an old 73 kg guy in bay chop. Extremely forgiving and so much fun. The thing slides sideways and flicks around like a skate board. We don't get much wind around here so I will mostly use a 5.8 Ezzy and occasionally a 5.2 Only sailed it few times so wondering about setup. Fin right forward, mast right back seems good but mainly wondering which footstrap holes to use currently rear in middle and front straps in back holes.
lookkc is offline   Reply With Quote