Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 10th July 2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Roly Gardner

Default Stock Fin For Carve 145

Hi All

Been catching up reading some of the other threads and have a quick question please. My Carve 145 has a stock 52 or even 56 cm fin which I use all the time since I only have the one! I also only sail with my 5.0m and 6.5m rigs at present. Can I get away with a smaller one or should I actually be using a smaller fin to balance the set up?

As you can tell from my terminology I am not sure what I am talking about so any guidance will be gratefully received.

Roly
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Stock Fin For Carve 145

Hi Roly,
What year model is your Carve 145?
It's in the serial number as the SW45xxxx000x. (WOOD) SU45xxxx000x (DRAM).
The first 4 "x"s are the year and month your board was built.
That will tell us what fin your board was supposed to be equipped with.
'04/'05 Carve 145's were equipped with 52 cm fins.
Yes, since the recommended sail range for the Carve 145 is 6.0 m2-9.0m2, you probably would do slightly better with a smaller span fin.
But. my guess is that you really haven't gotten your Carve 145 even up to half it's full speed potential, so getting a smaller fin at this point may not be so important.
Later, when you've fully developed your skills and you have the mast foot all the way at the back and the footstraps in the all the way back and outboard positions (and you are "IN" the straps all the time you are planing, then we'll talk about a smaller fin to reduce any tendency to "tailwalk", but I'm pretty sure you aren't there yet.
All of this faster and more advanced "potential" is just over the horizon, so spend as much time planing as you can.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Roly Gardner

Hi Roger

I happen to know that it is the 05 model with the 52cm skeg - checked last night. It looks like I may be jumping the gun a bit so will hold back for a while. Interesting to see that the sail range only goes down to a 6.0m. If the conditions are quite windy I don't stand a chance with the 6.5 so bought the 5.0 so I could get out in more challenging conditions. Presumably the more advanced sailors get used to larger sails in windier conditions or would they drop down to a smaller board and rig?

Cheers

Roly
Old 11th July 2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
What sails do you have (brand model and size here).
Yes, more skilled sailors can handle larger sails in higher winds, but it depends alot on the "type" (race sail, free race sail, freeride sail, freestyle sail, wave sail) of sails you have an how you tune them as the wind increases.
Perhaps you are not retuning your 6.5 m2 rig to give it the max. higher wind performance and handling.
If there are others your size, sailing in the same area, you could probably expect to be on a sail size similar to the other sailors.
Is this the case.....or are you sailing something significantly smaller.
6.5 m2 -5.0 m2 is also quite a big gap in your quiver.
Normally there should be a 5.5-6.0 m2 rig in there somewhere.
Hope this helps,
Old 11th July 2007, 10:55 PM   #5
Roly Gardner

Hi Roger,

I have a rather old Tush 5.0m single cam and a 2006 Gaastra Pilot. I try to de tune a little for higher winds by less downhaul and a little more outhaul. However, I mostly get an Instructor or more advanced mate to help me rig up.

I take the point about a gap in my quiver. I quite like 5.8m as this was my first 'real' sail when I was learning last year. Perhaps a Gaastra but slightly better than the Pilot or do you have a recommendation? Perhaps I can look to a 7.5m as and when I get a bit more confident or is this to far from the 6.5m?

Some of the guys will be on 7.5/8.5s when I am on my 6.5! This is a combination of them being slightly more portly and me being very much less experienced. There are a couple of blokes on Formula boards which I think need bigger rigs anyway.

Roly
Old 12th July 2007, 03:53 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
OK, sounds like you are pretty seriously underpowered much of the time.
Good 7.5 and 5.5- 6.0 free ride or free race sails would probably help your progress alot. Don't need any cams (but a cam or 2 is OK, but try to buy either something new or designed within the last 5 years (if you buy them used).
6.5 - 7.5 m2 is an OK gap. The gap needs to get smaller as the sail size decreases.
What wind speed do you sail in most often?
A modern 7.5 m2 rig should be good for a guy your size from 10 knots to the 15-16 knot range if correctly tuned
Your 6.5 Pilot should work in the 14-20 knot range and the 5.0 older Tush in the 20 + knots range.
Hope this helps,
Old 12th July 2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Roly Gardner

Thanks Roger

This is beginning to make a bit more sense to me. I have sailed my 6.5 in winds of around 13/17 knots although start to struggle when it gusts above this. So, it seems that I should be able to get used to this sail in a little higher winds in due course, but would benefit from perhaps a 7.5m rig for the more common wind conditions i.e. 10/15 knots. My little 5.0m will do for the time being until I get confident to go out in windier conditions and need something more modern.

Cheers Roger