Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 10th July 2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Roly Gardner

Default Just one more thing...evo deck.

Me again,

My board has a really grippy sand paper type finish which is great but... my poor knees and elbows don't think so! I there a product that can be effectively stuck to the relevant parts of the deck to help with this problem?

Thanks

Roly
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Just one more thing...evo deck.

Hi Roly,
Yes, they make a full EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) deck cover for the school versions of the Carve, but it adds a bit of weight to the board.
I think you will find that with proper technique, you won't be climbing on the board very much in a month or so, so adding the weight probably is not the best solution.
How about wearing as wetsuit and let the wetsuit take all the abrasive punishment?
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Roly Gardner

Thanks Roger

I think I shall go with your advice to wear my Steamer which has full legs and arms although this has already taken a bit of a battering! Must try to stay onboard more. Hope you are right with the 1 month or so timeframe. I will let you know.

Thanks again

Roly
Old 11th July 2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
When do you seem to fall the most?
In yoiur jibes?
Tacking?
Or are yu somehow falling just while you are sailing along?
We may be able to come up with some specific suggestions to
limit the number of falls bu focusing on what you are doing that has you ending up in the water and climbing back on the board.
Hope this helps,
Old 12th July 2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Roly Gardner

Afternoon Roger,

Thank you for your patience! I do fall in quite a lot in varying circumstances! However, I am getting better at opposing the rig and anticipating gusts/chop so I am reasonably stable when on the move.

My problems arise when stationary or in transition while tacking or gybing. Having said this, your comments on my other thread seem to come into play. I think that my feet positioning need to be more accurate and closer to the centre line. This might keep the board a little more stable?

It seems to take me so long to turn aswell which makes things worse. Having said this, the more I practice the better it gets - surprise surprise. I think my timing on a tack is a little suspect. I think that I may try to move before the board is dead into wind. Once round the mast I also find it difficult to get that last bit of the turn which allows you to 'catch' the wind and move off in the other direction. Should I be shoving the rig forward and forcing the board around with my feet?

This sounds like basic skills to me so I am sorry if it covers old ground.

Roly
Old 13th July 2007, 01:57 AM   #6
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

I have only been sailing for around a year and I got waterstarting in the first month or two... once you get that, you won't really want to uphaul. but my trick if I do have to uphaul, is to put your hands on the board, kick up, than move your hands to counterbalance you lifting your back knee on to the footpad. than you get up normally...

best tip I can give you... I still fall a lot on carve jibe attempts.

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 03:52 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
OK, let's talk about your "tacking technique" as I already see a couple of "issues" here with what you have described.
First, if the board doesn't power up into the wind, you need to "power it" up into and slightly past the eye of the wind, using the power and turning force in your rig.
Use the power in your sail.
Get out of the footstraps and move a little forward on the board (but still well behind the mast foot)as you start into your tack.
Then rake the rig all the way back until the foot of your sail rests on the upwind footstrap.(i.e. you are raking the rig all the way back and pulling it in until it touches your back leg PLUS a little beyond the centerline to turn your board past the eye of the wind.
Try this.....it works, and your tacks will be crisp and you will be up through the eye of the wind quickly and powerfully.
Then instead of stepping forward on your board to (as you say)
"Once round the mast I also find it difficult to get that last bit of the turn which allows you to 'catch' the wind and move off in the other direction." just step over the mast and tuck your new back foot under the foot of the sail.
You will have your old back foot on one side of the rig (and the centerline) and your new back foot on the other side of the rig (tucked under the foot of the sail and over the centerline.) You end up facing the back of the board momentarily, with the mast between your knees.
Then step around with the new front foot (or at least bring that foot around so the side of your foot is touching the mast base) and then hold the rig in your new front hand (by the mast in the boom cutout) and "sweep" your sail out to perpendicular to the board. This will put you in the perfrct "T" position/alignment, ready to balance your rig on the mast foot, rotate your back shoulder back so that the rig rotates about 5-10 deg. and ready to sail off on the other tack.
Yes, others will tell you this is a crazy thing to do. but try it. I have several hundred students I've taught that will tell you how well it works.
It provides a more dynamic and powered turn, keeps you over the centerline of the board, prevents you from moving forward on your board so that the nose drops and you come to an unstable stop.
Give it a try and let me know how you get on.
If you need further clarification, just ask.
Moving forward and around the mast foot worked good on 12 foot longboards, but it's completely inappropriate for short boards as shifting your weight forward stops any forward motion and your board doesn't want to turn unless it's moving.
Hope this helps,
Old 13th July 2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Roly Gardner

Morning Roger,

This tacking technique sounds good to me and, like the advice for initial uphaul and moving off, rings true. I was finding that by wrapping my foot around the mast foot early, as shown in the dvd's and magazines etc, the front off my board went underwater and I just stopped. You end up with that wobbly wait to see if you can get around or the chop gets you first!

Out tomorrow so will let you know.

Thanks

Roland