Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th July 2007, 01:40 AM   #1

Default Choosing second board (130-140l range)

Hi all,

I'm 6', 185lbs. Beginner. I mainly windsurf in the Montreal area.
In the 15 knots wind range.
I just sold my Go 180.
Sails: 7.2, 6.4 and a couple below that never get used.

I needed something smaller. It's quite choppy here, so the 180 while ok to learn was often too big in those winds.
My level is really beginner: I do not waterstart (never had to try), or jibe, but I can plan, get into the footstraps and have plenty of fun!
I loved the EVA deck! I loved the security of the big board too. In some spots, you never know where you can end up with the current on the St-Lawrence river?

I also have a old 130l (electric rock I think that I never use. I tried it a couple of time, but it's so narrow and unstable compared to the GO...).

I had in mind the Go 139 (which I can get at a good price for a 2006 model).
I would keep the EVA deck, the deep tuttle fins.

But will it still be too big? On the other hand, I do not learn very quickly: season is short in Montreal. Should I increase sail size to get more sailing days and less chop?

Should I go with "less beginner friendly" boards? in similar volumes?

What do you think?

Time to leave the Go range?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 07:06 AM   #2
crazychemical

Default RE: Choosing second board (130-140l range)

Personally i don't see why you would want to, the Go boards are great boards even for more advanced sailors who want a sweet freeride in good conditions. I know some might dissagree with me but the Go139 in my experience never lets u down once it gets planning in a steady wind and it leaves u the time to adjust when wind falls. The only trick is when you get overpowered to get your tail under controle, but thats easily solved with other fins.
You can also check out the Carves. I think they're deep TT aswell so thats a +, they're narrower then the Go boards so the'll plane a bit less fast but they'll have more controle in strong winds. But i think, if you're really learning everything, the Go139 is your better choise and i don't think you'll regret it in the end.
Once you get the Go139 fully under controle and know like most trechniques and start looking for a 85 L board or something you can still keep the Go for lighter wind days as your sailrange is ideal for it and your smaller board for the rest
Old 20th July 2007, 09:39 AM   #3

Default RE: Go or not Go

Thanks for your input!

The thing is I tend to make liter for liter comparison.
I think at 130l, I am too short. So the 139l is a good compromise.
But the Go is so wide, it's maybe like a narrower 150l board. it can suffer from the chop.

But I though again about it:

I love the Go: early planning (that's a +), safe (lots of volume), I love the EVA (or EVO?) pad.

The main reason I have some hesitation is the chop factor. I am going down 40 liters, that's a lot. But looking at dimensions, the 139 is not that smaller compared to my 180: it's only narrower by 20 cm or so. So in the chop, I think it will still be quite a big board.

The ease of the go also gets me lazy to learn. But 139l won't so huge, I'll have to waterstart.

I have been thinking about it. I think the GO is still the way to go. I going to look at both (carve) side by side and read less on the internet.

JP
Old 20th July 2007, 10:20 PM   #4
crazychemical

Default RE: Choosing second board (130-140l range)

You don't have to waterstart on the Go139, trust me, i weigh 90 and i sometimes just can't be bothered to waterstart (or in lightwind just can't) and i can haul my heavy sails right out of the water.
Also in chop, the Go139 rides smoothly in plane. I've sailed it in open seas and in 22 knots on good chop and i never had any difficulties. Only when the swell gets too big and you have to sail sails under 5.5 you're screwed. but that with all big-volume boards.
cheers
Old 21st July 2007, 12:53 AM   #5

Default RE: Exactly what I wanted to hear!

I looked at the carve's spec: the Go board are just 2 cm larger than their equivalent volume Carve boards.

JP