Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 31st July 2007, 08:10 PM   #1
jasonGR

Default What EVO?

I have a ACID 74 and I would like a bigger board like EVO 80.
The volume distance between those two, do you think is enough for EVO to be my bigger wave and freeride board?
I weight 72 kg and 1.76 height.
What are your recommendations?
Thanks a lot.
jasonGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: What EVO?

Yes, I definitely think the E80 will be big enough as you light wind wave board (got on the scales last night and turned out to be 72 kilos as well). I used to have a EVO 91 and while it was nice and floaty and still maneuverable, in the end it did not offer anything more than the 80 at the light wind side got things but was noticeably more cumbersome in better waves or more wind. Only exception would be is you sail in a place where super big wave sails could be beneficial (like 7.0 and above).

If you want an option to the E80 you could also have a look at the K79. The wind range is similar, but the K79 is a nicer freeride board and also a very good wave board which is very similar to the Pure Acid 74 in feel (pretty much same rocker and bottom shape). The K79 (and Pure Acids) does require more drive and skill to perform well in slower waves though, so its all about what kind of compromises you are willing to make. But the K79 and E80 are wonderful boards. At our weight, but boards are in practice pretty much full floaters.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 03:11 PM   #3
jasonGR

Thanks Ola_H, for your useful thoughts it really helps.
I was telling about the volume of the board, because the most of the places I do surfing here in Greece,exept some of them, have to do with gusty winds and thats why you need the floaty.I think the K79 will be too close to Acid74,I have, because its a bit narrow.
The ideal it would be, I think, a board with in or about 85lt.
jasonGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

OK, Kombat 87 is very nice too and would also build a nice quiver with the PA74, but for the best possible wave riding the EVO 80 is it.

I wouldn't put to much attention to a centimeter one way or the other on the width though. The K79 have faster rocker and plane as early as the E80 despite being a tad narrower. The important thing is the overall design of the board.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote