Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 7th August 2007, 07:15 PM   #1
surfjohn

Default Kids Board with possible dual use??

Hi, I´m writing from Germany and ask for a board recomondation.

I´m looking for a board for my son (11 years, 30+ kgs, beginner, one surfing course completed). As a beginner he will most likely use a 2,5 m² sail in sub planing conditions. Mostly we surf open sea like north and baltic sea.

If possible the board should have a dual use for me (experienced sailor) and my wife (intermediate).

The rec. from our surfshop is a Starsurfer M. Do you agree with that? Alternatives?

Aloha
John
surfjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 06:07 AM   #2
Peterk

Default RE: Kids Board with possible dual use??

John,

I had the same dilemna this year. I opted for the Starsurfer S for my two girls ages 9 and 11. It is a bit less stable than one of the big floaty Go boards, but at their weight (70 to 90lbs or around 32 to 40 kilos) it worked just fine. I purchased the Ezzy kids rigs to go with the board. They were out on it this past weekend and it was a joy to watch them using it. I taught them the basics, uphaul, sail straight, and tack, in about an hour. After that I just let them sail on their own. The rig is key. I disagree with Roger about going with the performance rigs. A simple light sail is all they need. My girls will not be ripping jibes for another season or two. The Ezzy rigs are so light that they never get tired of uphauling or holding on to them.

I had the opportunity to use the board in 20 to 23 knot conditions a few weeks ago. I used a Hucker 5.6. The board absolutley rips. It is not the quickest to jump on a plane but you will be rewarded with one of the best turning boards. I never hit jibes as fast as I did on that board. You can't bury the rails! It just screams through the turns. Additionally, it really sticks to the water. I think it has to do with the fact that it barely has a nose. I can't wait to try it in some small waves.
Peterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

The Starsurfer S and M are the exact same shapes as the original 2006 Starboard Aero 117 and 127 light wind wave and crossover boards. The heavier weight makes them less reactive and a bit more power hungry, but they are still very fin boards. If you will not use it as a beginner board for grown ups, I think the S version will be enough for the 11 year old and also be more fun for you and your wife (lots of sailing style option to explore on that board).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 05:10 PM   #4
fullmoon

We have only used a Prokids Go with my 11yo grandson so I cant really comment on the Starsurfer (though it was my choice for his board) but i dissagree with peterk's sail observations.
I have seen an astronomical improvement in my grandsons windsurfing in the last year which I put down to the performance kids sails you can buy. He started with a 2.5 Retro Ripper and a 3.2 Micro SO,that got him from beginner to planing.
Within 3 months he was into 3.5 and 4.0 Superfreaks then a 5.5 Severne Overdrive.All these sails were used or demo and purchased relatively cheap.We would love to sell the smaller sails but find they still get used on high wind days,25-40 knots.(on a 68L universal wave)
If your son has the right gear he will blow you out of the water before you know it.

Best of Luck, Benny
fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote