Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th September 2007, 03:21 PM   #1
puclaro

Default Pure high wind freeride, 69 kg.

I was following the other thread about which pure acid is the right one for 69 kg. and bay area conditions (meet both, weight and "spot").

And the last post about the failure of the 74 in today's strong winds.. this really hurts, because is "the" big problem I have been trying to find an answer for..

My question is a little bit different:

Starboard team, which is the right board for pure freeride, no compromises on comfort (absolutely no waves, no speed, no freestyle), high wind (30 - 40 knots), and bone-breaking chop, light weight people?

A board that let's you be there.. or helps you be there

If I would like to compromise, it would be with subplaning pointing ability, because in the bay area the wind drops, and there's some current, yes.

I had the acid 77 2003, never used it in the bay, but I know it wouldn't be comfortable enough in these conditions, although it had excellent marginal, subplaning "back to home" skills..

Now I have a quatro 69 2003, wrong option, hard in the extreme shop, definitively I'm unable to make it back to the right beach when the wind drops (and we are talking about severe drops)..

Does it exist? that magic board for light weights?
puclaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puclaro View Post
which is the right board for pure freeride, no compromises on comfort (absolutely no waves, no speed, no freestyle), high wind (30 - 40 knots), and bone-breaking chop, light weight people?
For my 65 kg, the best so far is an Acid 62 (2003-2004).

Quick to planing, fast, always on top control and top comfort in epic conditions, goes upwind surprisingly well in dead onshore conditions, huge wind range for hardcore freeriding/B&J/wave riding: I'm using it from 20 up to 40-45 knots with 5.4/4.7/4.2/3.6/3.3 m2 sails. True, when wind drops, I'm sinking up to waist level, but that's the price to pay for a truly radical board. There is nothing better than a narrow board for a lightweight hardcore freerider in nuke conditions IMHO (e.g., the Evo 62 is too wide for my taste).

Sorry, never tried a Pure Acid 68 yet. I'll leave it to Ola to compare Acid 62 and PA 68.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

While both the PA68 and EVO 62 are VERY nice for lots of wind, I personally think the PA74 handles it well enough and offers just the volume margin needed. I even used a 4.0 on my Kombat 79 a few days ago and that was OK to. I think it has a lot to do with getting comfortable on the board you decide to ride and get the trim right so you can trust the board.

But if you really want freerider for high wind only, the PA68 will be great. Just like its bigger siblings, it has a shape that works great in a freeride setting and no doubt it will require less determination than the PA74 in powerd up 3.3 conditions. Its fast planing too, so as long as you have reasoble power its an easy board to ride. But as you say yourself, if the wind dies, 68 liters will make for a more difficult ride home.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 11:26 PM   #4
puclaro

Thanks for the answers, yeah, that's the point, no doubt a 68-69 lts. with the right shape (not the quatro, that probably is too pure wave) will behave sweet in the upper winds, but for sure missing some volume when it drops, or maybe some vee? maybe some length?

The thing is, it seems today everything is wide, short, single concave, fast rockered.. are these characteristics the opposite for high wind freeride comfort plus subplaning survival ability?

Narrow, longer, heavy vee, tail rocker.. are those the characteristics that would make the dream board, allowing for extra volume and extra subplaning tracking ability without losing high wind comfort?

Ola, from your reply it seems there's no *board from today that would fit this need, do you know if some past model will do it? Still is possible to look for them.. and that's the board I need the most..
Old 20th September 2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Jean-Marc
TEAM

The Evo 62 is a very nice board for subplaning ability on a straight line. It kept planing better than the Acid 62 once hitting a hull, mainly owing to its width. However, it's not as comfortable as a narrow board such as an Acid 62 : it does yield a bumpy ride when chop gets nasty in nuke conditions. Same with a HiTech wave 8'6" (259 x 56 cm x 36 cm OFO x 80 L) : it's way too wide and bumpy with say a 3.6 sail. Width alone is not the main criteria, however. Forgiving rails with a razor sharp tail block helps a lot in keeping comfort (and control).

I guess your best bet is to try to demo a PA 68 (or even the PA 74 of Davide) if you want to discover the magic board for you and your conditions. In order to find the good compromise and ideal blend of specific requirements among many (and sometimes antinomic) characteristics is unfortunately (and only) done by objective testing.

Cheers !

JM
Old 21st September 2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puclaro View Post
Ola, from your reply it seems there's no *board from today that would fit this need, do you know if some past model will do it? Still is possible to look for them.. and that's the board I need the most..
The most control oriented Starboard from "my time" was the 2003 Acid 70 and the 2004 Acid 74 (similar shapes). I seriously don't think they would make better high wind freeriders than the current PAs though. And one problem is that to get something really controllable in super high wind, you pretty much _have_ to reduce volume. I personally don't feel length help and then, if you reduce width your stuck with lots of thickness if you want to keep volume and thickness is really bad for control.

But I have a bit hard to perfectly relate to this as I really think that for freeride stuff, the PA74 will handle a huge amount of wind at my weight. When I'm freeriding, I want to be a bit on the edge. It different when you're riding waves because 1. you need much more control once on the wave and 2. if some pats of the sailing is open ocean, you can't afford this require to much power since you need to save this for the riding part (which takes a lot of power in high wind). For Wave riding, I don't like the PA 74 with sails smaller than say 4.2 and my preferred board is the EVO 62 (over the PA68) _because_ of its much shorter length which gets blow around less and more control oriented bottom shape. But for blasting only, i've yet to find the limit of the PA74. Its not only that I can take more when I'm not in the waves, its also how sail the board, ie more "flat out, let it fly style". The PA74 is one of these shapes that just get more stable the more you charge it. If I didn't wave sail, i don't think I would have a smaller board. But then again, these things - as everything - are very personal. I never liked the Acid 62 that much, but JM loves it.

I think you should try to sail a pA74 and see for yourself how you like it.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 03:22 AM   #7
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Agree with Ola about thickness and control/comfort in heavy chop: the dedicated speed iSonic 50 board is a handfull in term of comfort/control in nasty chop even if it's super narrow. Boxy and thick rails on the tail block are no fun in these kind of conditions whereas slim, thin and razor sharp rails on the tail block of the Acid 62 are a sweet dream to my taste.

It also come down to your riding style and type of sails when blasting pedal-to-the-metal in nuke conditions. I love to be well powered up with an immediately available "power gas handle" under my back hand when hardcore blasting my Acid 62 : I'm using NP NR sails (ancestor of Search/Alpha) which are powerfull and super stable sails (rigged on SDM masts). I hate a softer sail like a NP Zone (no power in the head; all power around the boom area) or the draft's unstability/easy neutrality of a sail like a NP Core (felt absolutely gutless to me). I guess wave riding and/or straight line blasting do require different type of sails and boards. The main difficulty is to find the best combo that works best according to the style and preference of each of us. Lukily, the available choice is plenty enough to choose from (didn't like Acid 66 nor AHD MF 7'10" : slow to planing & to accelerate).

Good luck finding the magic board/sail combo of your dream...!

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 21st September 2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 21st September 2007, 11:11 AM   #8
puclaro

Thanks, appreciate your feedback Jean-Marc and Ola. Will keep in mind the boards you both mentioned to try them as the opportunity comes.

As for riding style, it seems our approach is different, I use hot superfreak, and don't mind the blasting part, over 30 while staying still for seconds after waterstart, enjoying the view and watching what's around you.. going ahead for long times out of the straps while sheeting out, neutralizing.. it's fine

Will try the PA74 for sure, sounds interesting..
Old 21st September 2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Screamer

Puclaro

You've got some good advice here. Imho in Force 8 and bone breaking chop you CAN'T have a board that will bring you home in dying wind (if it does, then it won't cut it when it's howling). I thought you should be able to shlog 68 litres at your weight.

I expect my Acid74 in October, so I'll give some feedback hopefully (I'll need loads of wind though @ my 85+ kilos). I got it for the conditions where fsw crossover shapes of around 85 lit (such as Kombat) get blown off the water.

Ola wrote: "flat out, let it fly style"
Now you sound like Ian, never ease off the accelerator

Bye
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:10 AM   #10
puclaro

Screamer, never said I can't shlog the 68-69 boards, the point is if there are better or worse shlogger boards.. try parking your car at Coyote and coming back at 3rd.. The 2003 acid 77 was good at dealing with efficient shlogging in quite low winds, and I was weighting 76 on that time, so I think the comparison is fair..

May be it's an impossible, but will keep looking for the magic board, perfect for high wind while good enough for shlog back.. if I found something will post.