Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 17th August 2006, 02:18 PM   #1
NORTHY

Default 2007 Evo feedback?

So - whats the scoop with the 2007 Evos?

Anyone tried them yet care to feed back?

From the Evo page:

Does the extra vee make any difference and at what cost?

Does the narrower tail reduce early planning (something Evos were not known to be in ambundance with anyway)?

Cheers,
Northy
NORTHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: 2007 Evo feedback?

I have so far only used the new 70 and the new 80 (and have sailed pretty much all sizes and incarnations of EVOs before that). I haven't had much direct communication with Tiesda, Per and Scotty about what they were trying to do with the new shapes, but from my perspective it seems they mainly have addressed how the boards goes rail-to-rail when going from a bottom turn into a fast cutback. This has before in my opinion been _the_ area where the EVOs have required the most attention from the rider. The new shapes are clearly easier in this respect and this makes them even higher performing wave riding boards. I've felt this very clear on the 80 (which is a big board for me at 69 kilos) and a bit on the 70 (but I haven't gotten any fast enough conditions for the 70 to enter the area where this can become an issue). On the other hand I've sailed quite a lot of light stuff on the 70 and I definitely I can't feel any negative things wrt planing etc.

The 80 is also noticably crisper in a straightline, especially when you don't load it up with to much sail. Interestingly, I thought the 06 E83 was one of the best boards in the range and this model has changed the most, it seems. The long single concave is gone and is replace by more v close to the tail. This is probably what give the new boards a more distinct feel. From a theoretical standpoint, you could expect the bottom turn could maybe become a bit less secure on the new design. I have not felt any such things though and the old 83 has such a totally sick bottomturn, so even IF the new one would loose a tad of that it would still have enough to spare. In any case the smoother top turn is worth it.

So, based on riding the 70 and 80, I would say that the new EVOs are carefully tweaked from last years and previous boards to make them a tad more rounded performers.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 08:46 PM   #3
scottmckercher

Default RE: 2007 Evo feedback?

Hi Northy
Sorry about the late reply. Have been in Sambawa for the last little while with no email access.
In answer to your question, No. The changes that have been made have not affected the boards planing ability. You're right, the objective of these boards have not really been to try and get the board up on the plane the fastest, but more what is going to make wave riding firstly easier, and now with a greater performance level.
Some people found the 83 pretty stiff, if not that heavy, but I kinda did too, so that board has been made to initiate a turn easier with the tail being pulled in., as did the 74 and 70.
We were very carefull not compromise the boards onshore capabilities however. sure you could make a board looser, but could you maintain the onshore drive required for the long clew out bottom turn. And I believe yes we did.
(I don't like it when a board bogs in a turn)
The feel of the boards are quite similar in the evo fashion, they're just easier to turn and have a quicker rail to rail response, with a tighter smoother arc in gouging or cutbacks, and allows a more vertical appraoch at the lip as well when going down the line.
The changes have made the boards slipperier in a straight line, which is fairly apparent when powered up.
I'm super stoked with what came out and look forward to hearing about other people who have tried their new boards.
I'm pretty sure they're still(even more so) the ultimate take anywhere board
Regards
Scott mck
scottmckercher is offline   Reply With Quote