Old 10th October 2007, 10:03 PM   #1
stingray

Question 42 vs Formula in light winds

Hi Kevin,

I wonder what do you enjoy more in light winds - slalom or formula?

I am talking about like real light winds (8-9knots). I am not sure in what winds do the PWA races are run in (rules say 7 knots for 42 but I doubt planing is possible on slalom gear in 7 knots) but I guess you have had some racing in really marginal stuff this season.

I have always been advocate for slalom as formula is expensive, but I also find that in marginal winds on 9.8 it probably might be more fun to be on a larger than 80cm board. What do you recon? I remember some years ago you said you enjoyed 12m sailing (you said it felt like cheating the nature sailing in next to no wind). Has slalom 42 sailing make you think different of 12m sails and formula sailing in general? Would you still encourage some recreational sailors take on formula and 11+ sails?

Best regards,

Ray
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

Ray,

I dont like competing in super light winds.. I have never been known to do this very well. However formula is a great tool to get out there when there is not too much wind. It is a fun feeling when you are just powered up on a 12 and gliding along. I dont really like the formula once it gets powered up too much but I still think that you could get out there in some light wind conditions.

This year we were definately pushing the 7 knot rule. We were out there and plaining on and off in some light wind. You take a Isonic 133 with a 9.8 and you will be going in some light wind conditions..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 06:23 PM   #3
stingray

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for response!

Brgds,

Ray
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote