Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd November 2007, 02:10 AM   #1
erik

Default q for ian fox lightwind slalom

Hi Ian,

Could you give me some advise.

I'm 93 kg and 195 m. tall.
My sail a warp 2007 9.9

I want a lightwind( 11-16 knt) fast board. It has to plane fast( a little pumping oke)

Should a go for the 144 or 150. My concern for 150 is that i think its not a real slalom board but a little bit like the old f typ's ( no pwa board)

Could you tell me the real diffrence between the 2 boards.
I'm looking, even in light winds, for that loose, fast slalom feeling.

Is the biggest futura something f me?

greetings from holland
erik
erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 03:38 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Erik,

I agree the concern over the old F-Type but new 150 is really a different machine.

iS150 has a squarer outline, and is super thin with contour deck compared to older F-Types, giving a much more direct and hi speed control ride. Unlike FT's, the new 144 and 150 both are built specifically around DFC which significantly alters ride style and allows these boards to run fast and free at speed.

Basically 150 is the optimum "big boys" lightwind design IF you ignor the 85cm PWA rule.
(in other words, the 144 is compromised in practical design by 85cm rule limit: if that did not exist, the ideal "big boys" lightwind slalom would be wider)

At the bottom end of your range the 150 can still present some advantages... But, as you get closer to the 16kts end, then obviously this wind strength could be much smaller slalom board territory so the 144 (or 133) would be fine. If you're using an active pumping style to get going, the narrower 144 will be less of a limitation in the light wind, but provide a "narrower" feeling ride (and turn) if that appeals to your style.

Futura 155 could be loosely considered an option, but not really in the same ultimate efficency (board size vs planing) as the iSonics in this case.

Greetz ~ Ian

Last edited by Ian Fox; 7th November 2007 at 12:58 PM.
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 04:30 AM   #3
galileo

Hi Ian,

I have had the same question on Isonic 150 and 144 as Erik but would like to expand the comparison on a F162.

Could you give an estimation how much earlier a F162 would be on the plane in comparison with the Isonic 150? Sail size 11m2, my weight 93kg.

Thanks and regards
Chrisitan
galileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2007, 04:53 AM   #4
mark h

Hi Ian

Could you tell us when pictures of the iS150 will be on line? Only because, it sounds completly different from last years iS155 & the previous years FT. I'v ordered a iS144 but cant get it in the UK till Jan/Feb 08. I could still switch to the iS150 (but pretty set on iS144) but would be good to see pics to be 100% sure.

Cheers
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hey Mark,

Yes, agree, we shall have that iS144 and 150 up and live ASAP,
it's now overdue and our apologies for that dragging on until now.

Cheers ~ Ian

PS : if you PM me your email address- and email file size limit, I can fast track that for you.
Old 7th November 2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Galileo,

It's always a very difficult question to rate/compare planing thresholds, especially at the super marginal planing end of our sport - simply because there are so many important variables that we can't isolate, evaluate or control from our side.

So (for purposes of discussion) everything else being equal - and it never is - the F162 in FW trim will plane about 1.5-2 kts earlier than the iS150. That doesn't sound like much, but of course at the very marginal end of the wind range around 6 kts, it's the whole game.

Obviously the wider overall width and tail, bigger fin capability and rail design optimised for long reach/run course performance on the FW still delivers a significant difference; on the other perspective, the iS150 will be an "easier" and more responisive, reactive and potentially faster (Vmax) ride in these conditions - once you get it planing.

Cheers ~ Ian