Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th November 2007, 01:52 AM   #1
jamieedodger

Default Freestyle on a kombat, which fin?

Hi, Lately I've fancied trying to learn some freestyle, volcan, spock etc.. Anyway I have a 06 106 Kombat and Im about 58kg, Ill be predominantly using a 5.2m sail for freestyle but I have no idea what size fin to get, I was thinking about the 28/26/24 Drake crossover.. Is that the right fin to get? If it is what size should it be? Or should I be thinking about something else?

Cheers

Jamie
jamieedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 03:56 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Depending on how "light on your feet" you can be, get the 22 or 24 crossover. If you have an older US-box fin, you can also try just cutting it down to around 20cm (or less) and try that. Quite a few freestyle sailors go the route. Just a straight cut with a hack saw and some fairing with some sand paper.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 11:17 PM   #3
jamieedodger

nah i dont ive only been sailing a year but ill bear that in mind for when i accumilate more some kit.

thanks
Old 8th November 2007, 01:36 AM   #4
Chris Pressler

Hi Jamie,
I would recommend the 24 cm one, if you are just a year on the board. Better you get shorter you go. Soem pros also sail on fins shorter than 20 cm.

Have fun on the water,
Chris
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 03:52 AM   #5
jamieedodger

Hi again and thanks for that. Last thing have any of you tried the new 08 kombat out? Im thinking about changing boards next year.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Chris Pressler

Hi Jamie,
yep, I sailed on the 96 and 122, both in wood. Both are very easy to get into planing and have an awesome endspeed. The 96 is suitable for so many different conditions in its size compared to other boards. Besides the board stays extremely stable when you are in subplaning position. I also like it for freestyle. The thin and realatively flat nose spins like hell. Sailsizes were from 4.7 to 6.0. I used the Gators on, and fins from 22 to 28.
The 122 can carry a quite big sail and works in a wide windrange. I mostly sailed the board with the Gator 8,0, but gave the short funboard to other people at the beach, who had so much fun using a 5,3 on it, especially ladies.
With these two boards I coud cover most of the windconditions with 3 sails (4.7/5.3 and 8.0) on flatwater and bump&jump conditions.
If you should have any specific questions just come back to me.
All the best,
Chris

www.chrispressler.com
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote