Old 26th November 2007, 05:23 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Evo 62 v Flare 60

How much difference is there in the early planing of the Evo 62 v Flare 60? Maximum sail size of 4.5m and weight 45kg. Also how much easier is freestyle (up to grubbies and spocks) on the flare than the evo?
Old 27th November 2007, 02:57 AM   #2
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-

Hi!

If i were you i'd definately go for the flare. Much better for freestyle. Probably not so much difference in early planing. If you also want to sail in waves, than the evo is better, but like i said for freestyle, the flare is the best choice.

All the best
Old 29th November 2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Unregistered

Thanks Lampi

I think the evo will be ok for freestyle, but was more worried about not being able to get planing early enough. Have you sailed both? I already have the flare 60 and a smaller 45 litre wave board. I have been using the Flare as my light wind wave board as well, that's why I am thinking of swapping to the evo.
Old 29th November 2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

OK, so you are essentially complementing your small wave board with a light wind wave board in the form of the EVO 62 and hope it will do some freestyle too?

While I have not used the Flare 60 and also is some 25 kilos heavier, my experience from comparing bigger flares with bigger EVOs is that you can generally get going a bit earlier with the Flares. They have very fast rockers and need very little sail power to get going. Th EVOs like to be a tad more powered up to fly.

That said, even at my weight I use the EVO 62 frequently and even for me, with 5.0 and down, it is a rather early planing and efficient board. If anything, it actually feels a bit "faster" or "more free running" than its bigger siblings (relative its size). At my weight, it seems to like some sail power to not "bog down" in a turn, but at your weight, once on a wave, it will definitely be a killer light wind/small wave board.

Last edited by Ola_H; 29th November 2007 at 03:58 PM.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Unregistered

That's pretty much it OlaH. I spend more time in flat water with this board, but also spend quite a bit of time in dtl waves so it needs to do both. I don't want to swap over and have a board that doesn't plane early. It doesn't sound like that will be a problem though. I was hoping that someone might have sailed both to be sure.