Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 13th December 2007, 05:53 AM   #1
MA_Pete

Default 2008 Apollo Formula - Feedback?

Hey there. Anyone sailed the 2008 Apollo yet?

Any feedback on the board? I never sailed the 2007, just read the reviews here and in Windsurfing Mag in the U.S.

How does it compare with the 2007?

Thoughts overall?

In addition to the stock fin, I would try it with my Deboichet 70 cm R16 +8 soft.

I do not currently race, just drag racing friends at my local spot. I would only use in lighter winds, as soon as it is windy enough to plane consistently on my 85 cm wide Slalom I make that switch (and switch back if the wind fades). 150 pounds, would use with 9.8 fully-cammed race sail and 9.0 and 8.3 two-cam freerace sail.

Thanks in advance!
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi MA_Pete,

The new Apollo have bigger range than last year, now is still free even in strong wind compare to the 2007 model. You can try this fin, but never test it on this board. We test differents fins and found this one very good : the R13 75cm soft rake + 8 cm and the R19 70cm soft -- rake + 8cm with an 11mē.

So the board plane little beat better in light wind, but increase a lot his performances in medium and strong wind.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Unregistered

Remi-
Are you guys still pushing for the Appollo class to be considered for the 2012 Olympics?
If so- has there been an appollo racing class established?
What about any one design races....
Old 15th December 2007, 09:10 AM   #4
JJay

Question How?

Hi Remi,

Could you please tell us how and why the new Apollo has achieved better medium/high wind performance over last years model? You said that it planes a little bit better? Could you explain better? Better than what? Last years Apollo? Last years 161? This years 162? How can it plane better AND have better medium/high wind performance?

The other thread talking about efficiency leads me to understand that light wind and strong wind performance is dependent on opposing design characteristics.

Maybe one of the Starboard designers could help in clarifying?

Regards and best wishes for good wind over the holiday season.
Jjay
JJay is offline   Reply With Quote