Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 29th December 2007, 04:07 AM   #1
marek

Default Changing my large sail.

Hi Roger & all,

I'm in a process of fine-tuning my quiver. Now my largest sail, NS Daytona 10.0 is a great product, but ever since I've changed my mast to Gaastra (to accommodate my 7.5 Gaastra GTX) the rotation became pretty bad (my dealer checked that Gaastra has a slightly larger diameter than my previous mast). So at some point I'm planning to replace Daytona with GTX, with the new, dedicated Gaastra mast (the reason I got Daytona at first place was that it rigs on a 490 mast + carbon extender, by specs).

http://gaastra.com/index.php/sails/s...ace_008/gtx__1

I'm just wondering about the size. Should I go 9.8 (520 mast) or 10.5 or 11 (550 mast)?
I feel comfortable with 10.0 and I'm wondering how much difference in terms of early planning would the additional 0.7-1 meter do.
And of course I plan to use it on my FT 148 .

Cheers,

-marek
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Marek,
Well, since you are a recreational sailor, I would go with a 520 100% carbon mast.
It will be expensive, no doubt, but not nearly as expensive and fragile as a 550 cm race mast. The 520 will also be considerably lighter in weight.
I'm pretty sure you won't get much gain with an 11.0 m2 rig, over the 10.5 m2 rig, and I'm also pretty sure you would notice the difference between the 9.8 and 10.5 m2 sails.
So, go for the 10.5 GTX on a Gaastra 520 cm mast.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 11:33 PM   #3
marek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hi Marek,
Well, since you are a recreational sailor, I would go with a 520 100% carbon mast.
It will be expensive, no doubt, but not nearly as expensive and fragile as a 550 cm race mast. The 520 will also be considerably lighter in weight.
I'm pretty sure you won't get much gain with an 11.0 m2 rig, over the 10.5 m2 rig, and I'm also pretty sure you would notice the difference between the 9.8 and 10.5 m2 sails.
So, go for the 10.5 GTX on a Gaastra 520 cm mast.
Hope this helps,
Thanks.
This actually means 9.8, as all larger GTX-es rig on 550 masts (sorry if I wasn't clear about it).

Are you sure about the 100% carbon though?
The Gaastra recommended mast for GTX is 75% and I've always heard they are way less fragile than 100s for the much less price and not that much performance loss.
So I was always thinking about getting 75%...

-marek

P.S. BTW what do you think will be the difference between 3-cam, freerace GTX and say, 10.0 Sailworks Retro in terms of early planing?
I know now, that I don't need my large sail that much to sail very over-powered - I'd rather like to use it in light winds/flat water and get early planing capabilities.
I know US folks like Retros a lot, but they are hard to get here, in contrast to Gaastra, available everywhere.

Last edited by marek; 29th December 2007 at 11:48 PM.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 05:23 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Marek,
Well, based on years of experience with larger masts, I haven't found any major durability issues with 100% carbon masts (I've broken a few, but then I've broken a few
75% masts as well.
The main reason I encourage using the 100% mast is the difference in weight.
I tried to race a 10.0 + m2 sail in the FE races I did in Thailand a few years ago,
and I could hardly uphaul the rigs with 75% carbon masts in the larger sail sizes.
In my opinion, for masts 490 cm and larger, 100% carbon is well worth the additional
price to keep the weight down, and if you treat them well, and they don't suffer some premature failure during the warranty period, they will last a very long time. I still have
some 100% Powerex 490/520 masts that have been in pretty heavy duty demo service
for almost 10 years.
As far as a 3 cam Free Race GT (I don't know what GT means....?) like the Gaastra GTX
compared to a Sailworks Retro, they will be very much the same in range, low wind power, and most other parameters.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote