Go Back   Starboard Forums > Kevin`s Corner

Old 1st January 2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Rocket

Default Throwing spray

Hi Kevin.
I was very impressed with your waveriding at Sylt a few years ago. In particular, the way you could start riding the wave when it was just swell, but you were throwing big curtains of spray. I'm sure from the shore it looked like the waves were much steeper than they actually were. So what is the secret of throwing big spray when riding swell?
Thanks,
Ronnie
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

Ronnie,

Thanks for the compliments. The secrets to throwing big spray is having lots of speed and also lots of power in the legs. The speed comes from the power in your legs, the rocker line of your board and also the power of the sail transmitting through the board. Along with that it is much easier to practice this in sideshore conditions. Start there and once you get that worked out then try in the onshore winds and figure out how that works.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 02:43 AM   #3
Rocket

Thanks for the reply Kevin.
From that, my take on it would be to bear off to get maximum speed and carry that speed onto the face of the swell in front. Then do s-turns on the bottom half of the swell, making them tighter as I slow down.
I guess the plan is to lose as little speed as possible on the bottom turn and cut the top turn as smooth and tight as your board will do without scrubbing speed off.
I'll give it a go the next time I get those conditions. Sounds like I will need to use a slightly bigger sail than usual too, to get the power.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote