Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 8th January 2008, 03:02 AM   #1
bobber

Default Carve 151 to Futura 144?

Hi Roger, my old Carve 151 is structurally sound but aesthetically challenged, so I'm thinking about a new board. I like the old Carve for certain weather conditions on the lake because it slogs comfortably in 5 but is fun in 15. I notice the Futura 144 has similar width but is 18 cm shorter. Will the Futura 144 have comparable performance, i.e. speed? jibing characteristics? planing theshhold? Will it slog as comfortably? Thanks.
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Bobber,
I don't have any experience on the Futura 144, but I have sailed the Futura 133 and found it to be very much like a Carve 133, only faster, easier to jibe, and slightly earlier planing, so I think you will really like the Futura 144.
It should be a little faster on the top end and turn and jibe significantly better than your Carve 151.
The planing thresholds would be similar, with maybe a slight advantage to the C-151.
As far as how well the Futura 144 will slog, that's going to depend quite a bit on your weight. If your really need the extra 7 liters of volume, then it will matter, but if you weigh < 200 lbs. (90 Kg.) then I see no problem with the reduced volume.
If you are heavier, you can probably adjust to the slight difference in volume quite easily.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 09:39 PM   #3
bobber

Thanks Roger. I'm well below 200, so displacement is not an issue. There are some days when I'm powered up half the time and slogging in 5 with chop half the time - the C151 has been a comfortable platform for those conditions. I'm pretty excited about the Futura.
Old 31st January 2008, 03:52 AM   #4
bobber

Default new board

Hello again Roger,

I took my new Futura 144 out today with an 8.5, and your advice was spot on. Seems to be a better all around board than the old Carve - it planes up easily, turns much MUCH better, and seems more controllable at speed through the chop. Also, it is a comfortable slogger in the lulls. I'm really going to enjoy it this season. Thanks.
Old 31st January 2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Bobber,
Thanks!
Posts like yours are what keeps me looking at these forums every day.
It's really wonderful to hear that some advice I've provided is "spot on" and
that you are already able to enjoy the new Futura 144.
R
Old 29th February 2008, 07:40 AM   #6
bobber

Default great board!

Man, I can't say enough good things about the Futura 144. I went out in 15-20 mph with a 7.5, but the wind kicked up with some 30+ mph gusts. I expected to get thrashed, but the board was very controllable, even in the heavy chop. Pretty remarkable for a board of this displacement.
Old 1st March 2008, 03:39 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Bobber,
Glad to hear you are enjoying yoiur new Futura.
They really are awesome, and I think the design team pretty much achieved
all their goals with the Futura lineup.
For those who haven't tried a Futura, they are not just good, they are really good.
Often when a design team tries to "combine" the best points in several existing designs,
they have a hard time achieving a really wide range of performance characteristics and
also keeping the board "sailor friendly".
The Futura's are easy to sail, fast, can be turny, and jibe great. Not great in waves, and not the fastest boards on the water (thats the Pure Acid/Kombat and the Isonics) but for all around blasting in a wide range of conditions, they are going to be hard to beat.
Hope this helps,