Old 18th September 2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Windlover

Default which board

Hi everybody!

I'm 75kg, 1.75cm and I play windsurf (only on the lake) with a 152 l and a 7m or a 8.5m.
From my next board for stronger conditions (in chop/flat water) I want:
- the smallest board that allow me to stay up with 3 knods (essential) --> 100-110l are right? Could I decrease litres under 100?
- easy jumps and control (I could do them,but I'm at the beginning in this)
- good speed and manovrability (...)
- start with somothing EASY freestyle

In this terms, what about this boards? Witch is the best for me?
Carve 101 or 111 vs flare 111 (99?) vs kombat 107 (97?)

Thanks
Windlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 07:25 PM   #2
WSguy

Default RE: witch board

You came to the right Bulletin Board because this one is loaded with witches.
WSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 01:32 AM   #3
Duracell

Default RE: whitch board

naw, he just needs the right broom, but one with 110Kg + board weight so something > 118 liters. Maybe a KA117 but I think a KA127 would be more like it.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 12:38 AM   #4
steveC

Hi Dario,

When it comes down to the right volume, it's important to ask yourself whether your waterstarting skills are fairly strong. If they aren't, and you must depend on uphauling, then some extra float will needed.

You indicated above that it is essential that the board float you in 3 knots. That is very little wind, but if you are talking about motoring in or out from a distant windline, that quite possible with a smaller (less than 100 liters) board. Really, when it comes to low volume boards, there is always a chance that the wind will die and leave you with a possible swim. So you have to consider this if you decide on a board under 100 liters.

Given your sailing goals above, it's my thought that the Kombat line is your best bet. As a crossover type board, it will do it all, including an opportunity to ride small waves too. The Carve line would be a good choice too, but I believe that freestyle really isn't its strongest suit. Unless you really want to concentrate on freestyle moves most of the time, it might be better to go more allround in your emphasis and overlook the Flare for now.

Regardless of your board choice, you need to consider whether you are prepared to take some risks regarding the amount of volume you need. Also, you must consider the sails sizes that you anticipate using, as that will help you focus a little closer on the proper board size.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 05:29 AM   #5
Windlover

Thanks everybody.

Steve: I can do the waterstart on a 80 l, that is not an issue. The real issue is the termic wind of my lake, and when it is at 1-2kn I don't wont to swim! (I have swam a lot of times...).

For the sails...I have the intention to use only the V8 7m (4cam) when I want to go fast, but I plan to buy new sails: 6m and 7 freeride/freemove to jump.
I have no intention to do freestyle ALL the time, I like to go fast and do jumps when I want/could.
I have tried the hypersonic 127 l, and with that it's impossible to jump, maybe the carve isn't designed to do easy jumps...and I have planned to buy a formula board to go fast.

Now I know that the flare is not my board...the choice is from carve 101 - 111 and kombat 107 .
Windlover is offline   Reply With Quote