Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 28th March 2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Help: Best choice RACE 7.6-7.8 sails 2008

Hi,

I have different possibilities to choice. How to rate it?:

1) NP RS-Slalom MKII 7.8 with X6 mast.
2) NS RAM-F8 7.8 with 100% Carbon mast.
3) Severne Code RED2 7.7 with 100% Carbon mast.
4) Gaastra Vapor 7.6 with 100% Carbon mast.

I’m 85Kg. Sail to RACE with ISonic 105 between 13 to 17 knots.

Thanks in advanced! Any feedback will be useful!!

SRLL
Old 28th March 2008, 02:22 PM   #2
DEN-137

hi !

severne code-red 2008 is very good say Brian Røgild (den-173). get more infomation on www.severnesails.com

Patrick DEN-137
DEN-137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Unregistered

You can't be serious DEN-137. Severne sails look crappy with all that red paint splattered all over them. C'mon mate ... can't you see gimmicks when it is right in front of you!? Even if the performance was awesome (which it's not) I would never be seen with such a ridiculous looking sail.

My vote:
FIRST PLACE = (2) North & (4) Gaastra
SECOND PLACE = (1) NP
DEATH
THEN Severne.

Based on performance, the safest bet would be the NP except with you would be using with an X6 which then sways the balance to the North & Gaastra with the 100% mast. The North RAMs are great and should be slightly cheaper than the Vapour (as the Vapour is the full race sail comparable to the WARP. I think the materials of the Gaastra are better however.

As Barry Spanier says .... " Upgrade your mast BEFORE your sail !!!! "
Old 28th March 2008, 03:04 PM   #4
geo

Why not Maui Sails TR-4 7,6 (and proper mast)?
If you can, give it a try, but remember it's quite different from usual. If you are accostumed to NP or North, you could end up with an overtensioned, "empty" sail. Be sure to rig it with less downhaul than ususal: stated settings will do, mind the large drop tack is deceiving, take care to have the web tensioner around the extension and not around the universal. Boom neutral or slightly negative. You will be surprised as the sail simply doesn't pull sideways: propulsion only. Take advantage of that by not oversheeting it; again, if you are used to "other" brands you will tend to grab the boom and pull trying to get "that" feel, but this sail works different. If you do everything OK, you will find yourself holding a sail that feels light in the wind, planes by itself and propels your board effortlessly to speeds that with other sails would require lots of physical resources... that you will save, and use to deal comfortably with the strongest gusts.
In other terms: don't rule it out as it can be a really nice surprise, and remember it's different.

Agree with unregistered: good proper mast is even more important than the sail. This would automatically rule out the NP RS:SL + X6 from your list. I understand one can feel unsafe to buy 100% NP masts, as they even limit warranty to 6 months, but then in my view the right choice is "other brand", not X6.

Last edited by geo; 28th March 2008 at 03:11 PM.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Papounet

13/17 Kts for 85 Kg with iSonic 105, choose the more powerfull one..........
Papounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Unregistered

Thanks for all feedbacks !!

My first feeling would be the Vapor, but its the smaller one with a 460-25 IMCS mast.

RAM-F8 is also 4-cambered but bigger. It's not a WARP, but it can be used with a 490-28 IMCS mast.

TR-4 needs its a top tip mast, too specific mast !!

I'm agree to get the most powerful, but I don't which is the one: some times some sizes are not the best in the same family (for example seems that RS-S 6,2&6,8 where better than RS-R same sizes on 2007).

Thanks,

SRLL.
Old 28th March 2008, 07:18 PM   #7
LK

The Code Red 2008 has significant more power than in 2007(more shape low in the sail), but still some backhand pressure left and a good balance of tension and leach twist.

So when comparing the sails mentioned in #1, no doubt the priority is

1) Severne Code RED2 7.7 with 100% Carbon mast or Gaastra Vapor 7.6 with 100% Carbon mast.
2) NS RAM-F8 7.8 with 100% Carbon mast.
3) NP RS-Slalom MKII 7.8 with X6 mast.
F8 and RS-Slalom are more comparable with Severne Overdrive

Regarding masts : Severne Redlines proofed their top quality the last 3 years, X6 holds fine, Gaastra had some problems last year.
:-) Steve Allan secured his title at the 2008 Oceanic & Australian Formula Windsurfing Championships, by using Jesper Orths Severne Redline mast in the Vapor.The Gaasta mast broke.

If extending the choices the TR4 would be an option too.

The best looking sail on the water is the Code Red for sure. :-)
Cheers
LK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 07:48 PM   #8
LK

Just seen there is a test report of the new Code Red on www.severnesails.com

I used the 7,7 CR 2007 with 490 cm redline, worked fine, don’t know if it works on CR 2008 too.

7,7 m2 race sail normally needs to work in a huge range, so a 460 cm mast gives you a bigger range I think, feels light and good acceleration.
490 cm, rig feels stiffer, but better performance for heavy rider in max. powered conditions

Cheers
LK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Unregistered

1st choice : North Warp or Ram
2nd choice: Point-7 AC1 (wonderfull!!)

Then others..
Old 29th March 2008, 11:32 AM   #10
Unregistered

QUOTE "The best looking sail on the water is the Code Red for sure. :-) "

Hahahahahaahah
Hahahahahaha

That made me laugh out loud .. seriously! Because I know that you are joking!