Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th April 2008, 03:18 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Faster Planing for S-Type 115L?

I bought an S-Type 115 last summer. I wanted something that could go fast and still be uphaulable (I had to swim an hour to shore the previous year). I have been very pleased with the speed and was surprised with how easy it turns. Planing out of a turn is much easier than I expected with a speed board. But the board seems unusually slow to plane. I am usually the last one on a plane even against some 8 year old boards. With the 6.0m sail I am not sure whether it can plane up any faster than my Sonic 85. And with the 7.0m it seems like a real dog. I am used to surfing the Sonic down a wave to get it going but the S-Type doesn’t seem to want to surf. I guess I could hop on the Carve 135 but I definitely can have more fun on the narrower S-Type once I am up on a plane. The stock fin was a spin-out king so I am using Curtis CR7 36 and 40cm fins. I could use some suggestions on making the S115 plane faster (fin size, foot position, mast track, or anything else you have found to work).

On another note I had to resurface the Sonic last year. I used 2-part epoxy and spread salt on top to get texture. The wood came out looking great and the texture is perfect. However, as predicted by the guy I bought the epoxy from, the epoxy has browned slightly in the sunlight. Is there some epoxy made for outdoors? It looked like it would be a lot of work to tape over the Starboard emblem but now I am wishing I had. The 2003 Sonic 85 is a great drag racer but I would appreciate any tips anyone has on making it go faster?
Old 9th April 2008, 12:16 PM   #2
rgugli

Send a message via MSN to rgugli

Hi, I have that board. I dont have problems to start planning. what kind of sail are you using.

I use it for just riding and some freestyling. My biggest sail there is the GATOR 6.5 that is a very very powerfull freeride sail. Maybe this is why I can be planning with this board in 14 knots.

Are you using the inner footstrap position of outer footstrap position...?
Good luck!
Ricardo Guglielmino
rgugli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Sail

I am using a Sailworks Retro 7.0 (Freeride) and a 6.0 Infinity (2-cam). I am using the footstraps in the outboard center position. I am guessing the mast track is in the center position. Where do you put your mast track?
Old 11th April 2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Unregistered

Default Board Year

PS; My S-115 is 2005 version. Did they do an update on this board in following years? What year is your board rgugli?
Old 12th April 2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Anowan

Smile

I have that board in Technora (so it's heavier) and find no problem getting up to plane whatsoever. I find it pretty good actually. I use 2006 neilPryde's V6 on it, 6.5 and 7.5, and it's perfect. I wish I had RS racing sails but these are way too expensive for me. Plus the V6 are powerfull , light and very manouverable. My mastfoot is on the middle for the 7.5 and a bit more on the back for the 6.5. My straps are outside and all the way in the back inserts.
A great easy and superfast board. My fin is a Select SL7 in 35cm. The stock fin is too big and not as fast as my Select for sure.
This is a board that demands a good quality slalom fin to get the most out of it, it can really be superfast with the right fin on it ( I have put a Ferrari sticker on the nose of my board ).
Anowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Unregistered

Cool

The S type is slow onto plane for its volume.
Use as big a fin and sail as conditions allow.
Remember the control you will have at higher speeds that your mates wont on earlier planing kit.
Anyone who says S type planes early either hasnt sailed one or has only sailed one.