Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 24th April 2008, 01:42 AM   #1
PapaJ

Default 58 Year Old Newbie

I have always been interested in windsurfing however have never had the chance to try it. I am going to Grand Cayman in Sept and staying on the east side of the island. I thought I would take some lessons while I was there. Am I crazy at my age to think I can pick up this sport? Health wise I'm fine just alittle overweight. I am addressing the weight issue by attending Weight Watchers. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
PapaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 02:08 AM   #2
crazychemical

PapaJ don't worry about the age, most surfers on my spot are over 50 and those guys mess with formula gear (read heavy overpowering stuff). Just stretch, don't do anything irrational and if you really want it you can always get a crashvest. It's not cuz all the pictures show young male stallions that it's a young peoples sport, far from! Kitesurfing on the other hand tends to attract a yonuger crowd, but windsurfing is all ages, all the time.

smile and be jolly

Cheers
Old 24th April 2008, 07:16 AM   #3
rod_r

Hi PapaJ

One of our local guys picked up windsurfing while recovering from his second heart attack because his hospital room overlooked a lake popular with windsurfers...he was 70 something at the time.........go for it
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 11:26 PM   #4
Ken

PapaJ,

Get to the weight room and begin working on your core strength. Also work the legs (leg presses / extensions / curls) and the back (chest pulls / bent rowing / etc.). Don't forget the chest (bench press / push ups) to balance the back work. You may need some help from a trainer to get started, but it will be worth it. As you increase muscle mass, your matabolism goes up and your weight loss improves. Plan on at least 2 and if possible 3 workouts a week. Full body workout each time with at least one day recovery/rest between workouts. Use it or lose it! Life gets better with age.

Learning to windsurf is much easier these days, but it still can be frustrating at times. PERSIST - it will be worth it.

I am 63 and have been windsurfing for 24 years. I am in excellent shape because the windsurfing motivates me to be ready to hit the water at any time. I sail all year long and live in north Texas. I average 50-60 sessions / days a year. I would be out more, but I still have to work.

Good luck
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 08:13 AM   #5
gary

PapaJ go for it!
I'm 53 and going into my fourth year of windsurfing. My only regret is not having stumbled upon this sport sooner in life. Not knowing other windsurfers, the first summer was VERY FRUSTRATING on the lake. Twice boaters offered to take me back to shore thinking I needed their help LOL. Many times I was ready to throw in the towel thinking windsurfing was for the birds. At the end of the season, probably a fluke on my part the boad got on a plane. I did yell 'holy s@#t' and apparently its a common first time response. Now I'm addicted. As long as the body is willing I will sail to a ripe old age. As far as my boom is concerned "FROM MY COLD DEAD and wet HANDS". Good luck PapaJ.
Gary

Last edited by gary; 25th April 2008 at 08:15 AM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Papa J:
Wow, what a bunch of "gung ho" guys that have chimed in here.
I would agree with most of what they say.
I'm not sure if windsurfing will big on Grand Cayman, but if you cannot find it there,
there are other options.
I wish we could somehow get you into a "A Taste of Windsurfing" at some point because as the others suggest, learning to windsurf, on your own, without modern equipment and modern instructional methods (like we use in "A Taste of Windsurfing") the learning curve can be tough and frustrating.
If you get the right kind of instruction, and then get yourself some "easy to progress on" gear, there is no reason you cannot windsurf and progress to fully planing in fairly short order, without all the hassles and frustration.
Where do you live (USA?).
We'll have a schedule out in a couple of days on the 2008 Sailworks/Starboard Demo tour and "A Taste of Windsurfing" events.
Basically, we will be doing the "A Taste of Windsurfing" events in Dallas, TX,
Austin, TX, Worthington, MN, and Plattsburgh, NY.
If not, make a trip to Hatteras, and we'll have you sailing around in an hour.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 08:11 AM   #7
PapaJ

Thanks for all the positive responses. Roger in regards to your question I live in Bartlesville, Ok. It's in the northeast part of the state about 40 miles due north of Tulsa. Dallas is around 5 hours from Bville. Hatteras would be cool however my coin is already dedicated to the Grand Cayman trip! I'm a firm believer in taking lessons. I've done that with skiing, snowboarding , guitar,scuba diving etc. The rental place in Grand Cayman offers beginners lessons in group & a private 8 hr session. Again thank you all for your feedback.

PapaJ
PapaJ is offline   Reply With Quote