Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 26th April 2008, 04:00 PM   #1
DEN-137

Default severne codered vs. NP RS:Racing

hi, what of this sails is best? speed, control ?

Patrick Simiglai
thanks
DEN-137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
geo

Easy... CodeReds won't perform, NP will break masts... so it depends on what you prefer...
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Unregistered

I will translate that for you. Geo means get a Maui sails Tr-4

Oh, you wont be able to carry it as its so heavy unless you buy the special order version.

And to save the next reply, better get a carbon art as well why you are at it
Old 27th April 2008, 12:37 PM   #4
roark

hmmm.. what about V8 vs MS-2 vs Overdrive vs S-type?

Which is the best in a 10m size on a formula for a lightweight sailor?

things to compare are low end power / stability when the wind picks up / weight / handling on the water / durability?

So many choices for free-race sails on the market! Appreciate it if the windsurfers who have had experience blasting on these sails would chip in if their advice and opinions!
Old 27th April 2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Unregistered

I've used recent S-Type and GTX in large sizes. My impressions are not scientific but the GTX 10.5m was beautiful to use, and my favourite. Tushingham Lighting is very nice too. My V8 is an earlier edition so perhaps not fair to say it doesn't quite match up, feeling 'heavier' in use. It's actually pretty heavy on the scales too, and the static weight is something you certainly notice trying any of the full race sails after the best freeracers. Interesting Maui do a special light version, didn't know that, at least they own up to the 8.4kg weight of their standard 12.- Many brands don't quote a weight, which when you think for example of the emphasis placed on mast weight, is crazy. I do know Aerotech can do a Pentex version of their VMG, and user feedback is that it makes a real difference.

Seems like most riders don't want to bother with this big kit, and I've gotta admit theres a case sticking to freestyle practice when it's light. But skimming effortless over the flat water at a windspeed multiple, and making the use of every little puff to work upwind is absorbing and satisfying to me.
Old 28th April 2008, 03:17 PM   #6
geo

Unregistered (post #3),
I didn't say that... but if you do... only believe me, I wouldn't have commented if the choice was, say, between North Sails Warp and Gaastra Vapor; even if, as you say, I have strong preferences. Point is that, to my eyes at least, Neil Pryde looses any credibility by giving a 6 months warranty on race masts (in EC 24 months is the law), and Severne by spraying the film. Meaning NP can't solve their technical issues and Severne tries to appeal buyers with means other than performances.

Anyhow: it doesn't seem to me that TR-4 sails are that much heavier than competitors to make any difference. Fact is, usually TR-4 are rigged on heavish Maui Sails booms that add some to rig weight. Recently I rigged a 7.0 TR-3 on an old Fiberspar 180-226 carbon boom and it felt featherweight; but since when I am using the Maui Sails boom, I am addicted to it and easily swap some weight saving for the hyper stiffness and sturdy build.
From a more technical point of view, 9 battens are heavy indeed, but this way you can have stability beyond reproach AND a soft feeling, easy to use sail. Other makes as an instance seeks stability using extreme mast bends, with obvious consequences... again, it's a matter of preferences...

Last edited by geo; 28th April 2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 28th April 2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Unregistered

I've had lot of doubts this winter before choosing the sails for the new season.I've talked a lot with GEO about it.I came from NP and North experience.During that period I've had some chance to test tr-4's.Plus I've competed in a national slalom comp where many of my beliefs have been resetted.But,if I have to report what I've seen,Severne was second in a strong fleet (where Point 7 won).
Does it mean they're fast or slow??
In my opinion,as GEO says,there's not a noticieable fastest sail and there's no way to really achieve that point.In a comp there are so many variables that influence your speed that you really can't say what's best.And if you look at a "freeride" sailing MS has shown how fast they really could be (50+ !).
I didn't liked so much MS (just because my background is far way different) but I coudn't ever say they're slow.
As always it's a matter of preference,confidence in what you sail and how much you're willed to right trim the stuff.
Old 29th April 2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Neil Pryde looses any credibility by giving a 6 months warranty on race masts. Meaning NP can't solve their technical issues
Agree. That's one of the reasons I went away after nearly 2 decades of enjoyment.

Quote:
Severne looses any credibility by spray-painting their sails and tries to appeal buyers with means other than performances.
Whats is the credibility of the black-colored AC7 or the white-colored North Warp sails ? You must be joking my dear...

Except from a slight difference in thermal dissipation kinetics between black (quicker) and white (slower; see black body physical principle), color doesn't matter to perform better in a sail.

As for surface spray-painting per se, it may matter for a fin but I strongly doubt it for a sail where air is 1000x less dense than water.

Finally, on a personal note, the difference for a lightweight between a NP RS6 10.7 and a CodeRed2 11.0 sail is pretty much obvious : just ask the lactic acid content of my sore muscles at the end of the day. Nothing to do with the color, believe me...

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 29th April 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 11:50 PM   #9
Jean-Marc
TEAM

...well, on a second thought, color may matter security wise. If sailing in rain, mist or fog, at least in my opinion after 1 year of use, the Code Red is more visible far away than transluscent, black or white sails and may help you to avoid collision with your buddies or other sailing crafts as well. Another point is whether you better like to be in safe or in stealth mode and how to deal with the unexpected odds on some instances (e.g., search & rescue in bad weather). Your call...

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 12:10 AM   #10
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc View Post
Whats is the credibility of the black-colored AC7 or the white-colored North Warp sails ? You must be joking my dear...
Agree. But at least North Sails have unquestioned performance. One may not like the feel, but performance is there.
Quote:
Except from a slight difference in thermal dissipation kinetics between black (quicker) and white (slower; see black body physical principle), color doesn't matter to perform better in a sail.
Black will also absorb more light energy. In the end it will be hotter.
Quote:
...well, on a second thought, color may matter security wise.

Cheers !

JM
Well maybe... but I don't think CodeReds' colours are optimized for this purpose. Anyhow this can be a good reason, althought not mine.

Last edited by geo; 30th April 2008 at 12:17 AM.