Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 28th May 2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default '07 NP V8 vs. '08 NP V8

Looking to upgrade from '05 NP V8 10.6. Any thoughts on the differences with last years and this years V8's? I realize that this years utilizes the new ultracam so that's a plus. Although they don't make a 10.6 anymore. 10m is the largest. Biggest question is marginal wind planing between the two ('07 V8 10.6 vs. '08 V8 10m) and FType 158. Is it negligable? My next size down is an 8.5m.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th May 2008, 07:12 PM   #2
RobSwift

Although I can't answer your question directly, I bought a discounted '06 8.0 to start the season. Futhermore, I researched the UltraCam in that I knew if I bought this sail, I would be missing out on this new technology. I found some people who had sailed with it and decided for myself that it wasn't worth the extra money. After sailing the '06 model (which has one more batten than the new ones), I have been, not only satisfied with it, but rather impressed. It had terrific low end power and was easy to gybe and tack. Believe me, I'm no Robby Swift when it comes to sailing skills. If there's an advantage to the Ultracam, it would only be a better mouse trap. How beat is your '05? I don't think the changes made over a few years really are worth the scratch in sails.

Last edited by RobSwift; 29th May 2008 at 07:18 PM.
RobSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 07:11 AM   #3
Unregistered

It's pretty beat. I have a couple of nice tears in the luff sleeve along with a 2 foot tear in one of the middle mono panels that is patched up with some sail repair tape. It's definitely still sailable but since it's the sail I use 70% of the time, I tired of looking at it.

I've always been a fan of the V8 and have always had at least a couple at a time in my quiver. This one seems to be deteriorating faster than all the others.
Old 1st June 2008, 09:17 PM   #4
RobSwift

This is the first N.P. sail I have bought. I have another which is almost twenty years old, too. I did think that using nylon in the luff sleeve would have some durability issues. I have a number of sails of different brands which were made in the last few years and none use nylon instead of dacron. You can replace the panel for about $50, but I'm not sure about the luff sleeve repairs. My most used sail was an 8.4 Loft and it's a bit beat. That was why I bought the V-8. At first I thought I was being a bit foolish especially since I had to buy a new mast, too. In your case, you should proceed like you are doing i.e. continue to sail your old one and pick up some information on the new. The big sails aren't discounted until August so I wouldn't buy until then.
RobSwift is offline   Reply With Quote