Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 6th July 2008, 05:51 AM   #1
Fernando Luz

Default Futura 111/122

Hi Roger,

Once again, many tanks for your help with your advice in my last post about fins for Futura 111.
Talking today with a friend, another doubt come out, witch I appreciate if you could advice me:

Remember you, I've ordered the Futura 111 (still waiting, because it was out of stock), I have 65 Kgs, sail in inland lake with 10 to 14 knots,the average is 12, with a NS Natural 7.0, most of time, and, in the top of summer when wind fall down with a Gaastra GTR 8.0 a few times !

With this conditions,I wonder if I'm doing well in buy the Futura 111...??? or should be better to buy a lit bit bigger like the Futura 122 ? Do I plane better with less volume or more volume with my weight in this light winds ?

Thank you very much, long life windsurfing !

FERNANDO (Portugal)
Fernando Luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Fernando,
It's a tough decision....!
Yes, at your weight, the Futura 122 is going to plane earlier, particularly when you use your 8.0 m2 GTR.
The "trade off" here is maybe 1 knot earlier planing, but on the higher wind end of things, you will have to give up a little bit of range.
What is your smallest sail size, and how often do you get to use anything smaller than your 7.0 Natural?
The Futura 122 is 3 cm wider than the Futura 111, and the extra width is what's going to get you planing earlier, but that 3 cm, at around 18-20 knots is going to make the 122 a little more difficult to sail than the 111.
If your winds are almost always under 15 knots, then I'd suggest the 122.
If you get much time on sails smaller than your 7.0 m2, then the 111 seems like the better way to go.
As I said, it;s going to be a tough decision.
At 65 Kg. (143 lbs.) your weight favors the 111, but your light weight also means the 122 is going to be a little harder to hold down in higher winds.
I do not have any experience with the Futura 111 so I cannot tell you if it rides a little big (like the Carve 111).
I've only sailed the Futura 155, 133, and 122.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote