Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 29th September 2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Roost

Default SType 115 or Kombat 117

Hi Ian and Ola, I have a Hypersonic 111 and Kombat 86 already and weigh in at 82kgs. I'm trying to determine which board is best fit in between for bump and jump. I will use 6.1 expression on wave days( onshore swell more than peeling perfection) and a 6.5 V8 on the slightly lighter days in bump and jump. I have a GPS so like to see how fast I'm going but soon get bored of that and start doing chop hops and other fun things like that.
The trouble and doubt comes from owning a K105 ( 2005) and finding the 2006 87 planned for me in the exact same conditons using the 6.1 expression. I don't want to end up having two boards doing the same thing. Any thoughts?
Roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Maximus

Default RE: SType 115 or Kombat 117

I would strongly suggest getting either the Kombat 117 or the Stype 115. Bear in mind though that with the Kombat 117 you can drink 2 extra litres of water before going out. The Stype is faster because its red, but you might get dehydrated quicker.

There is another way though. Put the Hyper and the Kombat in the car overnight and when you check in the morning you might have a brand new Hyperbat 98!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Roost,

One thing that you didn't make totally clear is where/when you draw the line on usage or the upper range of the HS111 (?) - as how your use of that one overlays the mid range board does influence the selection of the new one. given the solid Slalom character of the HS111, it would be perfectly kegit to have two (HS111 and new board) that both had effectively similar wind range (or significant overlap) - but marked difference in character. Or alternately, the more traditional spaced quiver approach light/mid slalom - B&J - Wave(hi wind B&J).

Depending on the extent of the wave riding ability and or onshore wave performance you want from this mid range B&J board, two worth having a think about are the ST93 and K97 (2007).

ST93 is a real weapon in the small 6m range, more focus on speed B&J than wave B&J (nose rocker can be a bit technical if you're punching thru a lot of shorebreak - and it won't bottom turn like an Acid, but it does have a very playful B&J side to it [basic SuperX capable] - as well as being damn quick in chop).

The new K97 is also a bit of a stealth package this year, and will be one of the standout boards in the 07 range when we look back next year. Don't forget everything you knew about K's, just most of it when you think about this one. Using a Pure Acid rail profile, Per really managed to get a super sweet combo of wave/Crossover performance in a largish board combined with very nice speed and efficency - this one is a definite slot in between the K86 (smaller/softer rails/ less efficency) and the HS111 in terms of performance range sizing. Definite advantage over the ST in the waves (or mush) in terms of handling, moves etc super safe ride and nose rocker.
ST still kicks it in a drag race and planes up very early considering it's size and soft edged easy speed ride.

Both these boards might seem kinda small for the sail sizes, but considering the range of the other boards in your quiver and the type of riding you've described, that K105 history - either could be just what you're looking for.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 07:47 PM   #4
Roost

Hi Ian, That is far from what I expected. Truly surprised. So the K95 is that changed. I lean toward Kombat&#39;s as I&#39;ve never ridden a Stype. I did get a go on an aero last spring and got it going in 12 knts with a 7.0( not Mine). You are right I didn&#39;t explain the Hyper well. I use it almost exclusively on flat water with a 8.4 RS6 and accasionally with the 6.5 V8. The K86 and new one are to go to rough/wave spots and have a second board without that sinking feeling when the wind drops out or it just isn&#39;t enough for the K86. <--- happens quite a bit.

Thanks for the advise.
Roost is offline   Reply With Quote