Old 22nd July 2008, 06:18 AM   #1
TJCroes

Default isonic 50 or 76 ?

Hi, my name is Tom, I am 10 years old.
I started surfing in the summer of 2007.
I just won the Aruba Hi-Winds 2008 slalom and longdistance for the New Kids (on my old second/third hand Exocet 75). I need some advise on a new board. What would be better for me, an isonic 50 or a 76?
My sail is a 4.0 I would like to go to some more races next year.
Maybe Bonaire or Sto. Domingo. Hope you can help me out. THANKS
TJCroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

From a pure size and sail size perspective, I guess the iS50 would be better, but its also a rather big step down from your current board. Do you have a chance to try the iS50 before you buy? My friends that have the iS50 and weight around 70 kilos say it is surprisingly effective and early planing, so probably it would make a good slalom board at your lighter weight.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 01:59 AM   #3
hermes

you think that is 50 its front foot or back foot presure? is50 vs missile? thanks
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I have not used the iS50, but a friend of mine that has it says it is quite back footed.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 03:33 AM   #5
Jean-Marc
TEAM

TJ,

This is what kids had to say about the Prokids Sonic (i.e., the ancestor of the current iSonic50) :

http://2006.star-board.com/news/view_news.asp?Number=82

This is gonna be very tricky.

On one hand for long distance racing, beware of the low volume of the iSonic 50 : all the kids said the board needs wind and you might loose the planing sooner if you hit a lull ! You might be better served with the iSonic 76.
On the other hand, if sailing with a 4.0 sail in high wind, you will have an easier time with the iSonic 50 board which is perfectly tailored for kids of your size.

Any chance you might use a sail smaller than 4.0 in strong wind ?

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

A lot of the kids preferred the new/er iS50 over the previous PrKids for kids sized slalom and blasting - despite we preferred to offer a dedicated Kids slalom shape, the kids decide the iS50 was so good they prefer that. As long as there is enough wind and the kids are powered up, it's quite an OK choice (as commented above by Ola /JM)..

Then on the other question Back vs Front foot /Missile vs iS50 (which seems actually quite different question to TJ's question) iS50 will be more back foot when tuned with large (~28) more upright fins and bigger sails, when tuned for downwind speed with smaller (22-24cm) fins the iS50 is very neutral. With a board as small as iS50, even a small change in tuning can change the board trim a lot.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote