Old 27th July 2008, 08:10 PM   #1
filipl

Default 2008 Retros?

Hi Roger,

Have You tried the 2008 Retros?

Could You tell me something about the differences compared to the 2007 models? How does, for instance, the reduced boom length affect their performance?

I have been sailing with Retro sails since 2000. I have 8.0, 7.5, 6.5 and 5.5 Retros, and last year and this year I bought the 4.8, 5.6 and 6.6 Huckers.

I like the Retros but I really love the Huckers, especially their huge tuning range, and their stability. I was hoping Sailworks would start producing a larger Hucker, something like 7.8, but I heard that they wont do that.

Im specifically interested about the 2008 8.0 Retro. Does it feel and handle a bit more like the Hucker sails, compared to the 2006 8.0 model that I have?

Thanks for Your always very informative answers!

Filip
filipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 02:53 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Filip,
I have 5.5/6.5/7.5/ and 8.5 m2 2008 Retros.
I also have 4.8/5.6/6.6 m2 Huckers.
I like the new Retros alot, but they don't have the same
super powerful feel that I get with the Huckers.
I too would like to see Bruce Peterson at Sailworks design a couple of larger Huckers, but I don't think he sees the need for that as this would overlap with the large Retros.
I didn't like the reduced boom length at first, because I've never liked battens that cross through the boom, but once I got used to the shorter boom and started to use the lower grommet only I have changed my opinion on this.
The new Retro's have all the power of their predecessors in the last few years, but the shorter boom has made them easier to handle.
I do not have the 8.0 m2 2008 Retro (so I cannot give you a direct experience analysis on that specific size), but I have an early proof sail 7.5 m2 and a later production 8.5 m2. They are just as good as previous Retros, but the shorter boom just seems to enhance the overall feel of these sails.
The new Retros don't feel quite the same as the Huckers, and I haven't been able to get the huge tuning range I get with Huckers using different masts, but the Retro range of windspeed and tuning is as good as it's always been.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 29th July 2008 at 02:48 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 02:28 AM   #3
filipl

Thanks for Your reply Roger,

does the reduced boomlength mean that the 8.5 2008 Retro (roughly) handles like a 2005 8.0 Retro?

I will probably go for a 2008 8.5, it seems to be a sensible next size up from the 6.6 Hucker.

Filip
filipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 02:46 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Filipl,
I'd agree with getting the 8.5 m2 2008 Retro.
Tuned right on a std. diam. mast the 6.6 Hucker can provide
nearly as much power as a 7.5 Retro, so while 8.0 would be a
more "normal" quiver spacing, I think you will like the new 8.5 m2 Retro
as your next larger sail.
I know at least 2 other 6.6 m2 Hucker sailors that have 8.5's as their next
larger sail and they seem to think this combination works well.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote