Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 28th July 2008, 03:50 PM   #1
willmo

Unhappy Footstrap plugs

Hi Guys,
I am writing to comment on an issue regarding footstrap plugs which simply appear not to be up to the job. I have recently taken delivery of a new Isonic 111 ( made in 2007 ) and on inserting the second footstrap screw it immediately stripped the insert without even tightening up - it felt like it was screwing into hard cheese!
I do not consider that a repair to a brand new board is an option but have been unable to locate another 111. Am I safe in assuming that this problem has been addressed on the latest models as a board with twisting footstraps due to fear of overtightening is next to useless.
Regards,
Willmo.
willmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Willmo,
Try the stripped footstrap plug repair suggested in
Products/Product Assistance/Repair Guide.
Here's the link:
http://www.star-board.com/2008/pages...sst_repair.php

If you think the FS plug is soft, it might be good to open the hole slightly and run a 6mm x 1.0 tap down the hole to maximize the surface area the Thread Repair 2 part epoxy has to work on.
If you use the suggested repair kit, you should have no future problems with FS inserts as the threads will be upgraded to approx. Gr. 5 steel.
Be sure to take a tooth pick and work some of the mixed but uncured epoxy as far down in the hole as possible.
The blue "release agent" will allow you to unscrew the FS screw after the epoxy sets.
Try to clean off any excess epoxy around the top of the hole before the epoxy sets.
The resulting thread repair will have significantly more thread engagement than you get when you screw a new FS screw into a new FS insert as the holes in the inserts are a little bigger than the root diameter of the FS screw PT thread.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 29th July 2008 at 09:50 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote