Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th September 2006, 01:26 AM   #1
larrychile

Default Bouyancy

How will work a carve 133 for a non waterstart heavy rider (90Kg), but with good gybe. If winds died, I will be able to get the beach without swimming?

What sail I should use for winds between 13 and 25 knts (considering my weight)

Is that board correct?
Im a medium technical sailor

Sorry my poor english, but Im learing.
larrychile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Bouyancy

Hi Larry,
The Carve 133 will have plenty of volume to get you back to the beach in very light winds. Will it get you back to the beach in absolutely no wind? That would depend on your zero wind pumping skills.
The board will float you for sure at 90 Kg (198.4 lbs.) but if the wind dies completely, it's going to be hard to get the board to move without pumping. At zero windspeed, swimming the board and rig in might be easier.
If there's any wind at all, you will have no problems.
For 13-25 knots, one board and one sail is going to leave you either
very overpowered in high winds (20-25 knots) or very underpowered in
13-18 knots.
2 sails would be good ( maybe 8.5 and 6.0 m2) but 3 sails would be better (8.5; 6.5-7.0; 5.5-6.0m2).
Also, one board for 13-25 knots is going to be "stretching the range" seriously and will be pretty big, even for someone your size, over 20 knots, and just about right for the 13-18 knot range.
If you have another board to pair it with, you could go bigger on the Carve (145...?) and get something in the 90-107 liter range for higher winds.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 01:35 PM   #3
PG

Default RE: Bouyancy

I think Roger, as usual, presents good advice.
The question of "how many sails do I need, and how much money do I have to spend" is always tricky. It is not just "what is the ideal sail now" but also "how am I going to grow my quiver of sails".
As a one sail solution a 7.5 may work reasonably well. But then when you grow your quiver to two sails it will not be good neither as the biggest, nor the smallest sail.
A two sail solution should have a biggest sail of 8.0-8.5, and a 6.5 as the smallest sail.
Then again, when you go to three sails the setup should probably be 8.5, 7.0 and 6.0. This is ideal, but costly. to make it worse it typically requires three masts (490, 460, 430).
I know from own experience what a pain (and expense) it is when you have to change the spacing between your sails.

It makes sense to check out the required mast lengths. If your biggest sail is an 8.0 (or slightly bigger) you may manage with a 460 as your longest mast (with a long extension a luff of about 500 cm is realistic).
PG is offline   Reply With Quote