Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 10th August 2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Wannabe

Default Harness lines

Hi,
Firstly i want to say that i have spent the last two weeks reading this forum, and i have learned HEAPS of things, so thanks for all the awesome responses.

After using an F2 Lightning long board for the last few years, becoming very confident on that, i have bought a Hypersonic 111. After two sessions i am really starting to enjoy it, planing relatively easily and having no real problems getting into the harness lines and footstraps.

The thing i have noticed is that coming off the water, my forearms are burning like never before. Im using the same 7m sail, mast and boom as i was on the F2, and haven't moved my harness lines from where they were, but for some reason it feels like the harness lines are too short and im supporting myself too much on my arms.

any ideas? time to try some longer harness lines maybe?
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Wannabe,
If you haven't adjusted your stance from longboard (F2 Lightning) to super short slalom board (Hypersonic 111) then there could be some real differences in harness line length, however I would think that you would want them shorter, not longer.
Also, "forearm burn" (your term) is more often associated with hanging onto the boom with a "death grip". Next time you sail, see if you can "play the piano" with your fingers while sailing at near top speed. (I.E. flex your fingers and wiggle them on top of the boom to prove to yourself that you aren't in the "death grip" mode.).
What size rig are you using (brand, sail type, size) on the Hypersonic?
How about a set of adjustable harness lines......?
Then you can very easily change the length and see if you need longer or shorter
lines (you can even change them between sailing upwind (shorter) to sailing off the wind (longer).
The Sailworks "Quiktune" Adjustable Lines are some of the best lines (easy to adjust, last along time if you use a Reactor Roller harness bar) on the market and only cost $48.00 if you buy direct from Sailworks.
Here's the link:
http://www.sailworks.com/web/category.cfm?category=5
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Wannabe

Sounds like your right about the death grip, probably due to not being entirely comfortable on the new board yet. ill give the piano fingers a go next time i go out (probably not for a week at least due to work )

The sail im using is a Gun Booster 7m (due to being 19 and broke lol)

I'll pick up some adjustable lines during the week
Old 28th August 2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Chris Pressler

Hi Wannabe,
which harness do you use?
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Wannabe

Its a Dakine Speed Seat, a few years old cant remember exactly
Old 29th August 2008, 06:10 AM   #6
Chris Pressler

Wannabe, think about using a waist harness. You are quicker getting in and out and perhaps you are in a more relaxed position while sailing.
All the best,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 06:27 AM   #7
Maximus

Hi Wannabe

I have 4 years experience on the hyper 111..., Hyper requires a freerace or race sail, as its a power combo, that will blow your arms and back leg if not correctly tuned with sail and fin.

I have looked up the sail, and it should work well. Always with hyper downhaul the sail to max ( check with your eye as well, as sometimes the measurements are not accurate, sometimes as the sails wear you can add 1cm etc), regardless of windspeed and use outhaul to adjust the power. This extreme downhaul ir required to lift the nose and free up the board, you will feel the difference on your 1st run. You will find the supplied 42cm will work well from 12/13 knots through to about 16/17. If you find your back leg getting way to loaded, simply change down to the 34cm fin, this will work fine from about 15 knots.

Start with your footstraps in the middle holes front and back. Mast track should be centre. Boom medium heght at the start will help you with control. Harness lines should be approx 26", give or take a little depending on the conditions (get adjustable, as advised by Roger).

Once properly tuned, you WILL smoke your friends to windward and through lulls!

Once again dont be affraid to crank on the downhaul, experimenting is the only way.

Cheers
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Ellen Faller
Dream Team - School

Hi,
Not everyone is happy with a waist harness. Get used to the board and sail, and your technique. Then maybe try to borrow a waist harness. Many people rush out and buy a waist harness and find that it isn't for them. Relax and get comfortable with your gear, and your own style, and then begin to try other things.
cheers,
Ellen Faller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 05:06 AM   #9
Wannabe

Thanks everyone for your great advice. Had an awesome session yesterday, even if planning was a little marginal at times.
I think i will stick to the seat harness for now, seems to be alot easier with the adjustable harness lines (the longer lines upwind are awesome!)
Old 31st August 2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Wannabe,
We'll let your skills develop, but normally the lines are very short for upwind sailing as
you are "hiked out" to the full extent of your arms length, but leaning more forward with your rig pulled in and raked back fully. This allows you to lean back as far as you can to "cantilever" your weight to the side of the board.
For sailing on a beam reach, or downwind, the harness lines are normally lengthened so you can lean more to the rear of the board and get even further away from the rig.
So, I expect that you are in some sort of "transition" skill wise, and all of these little "nuances" will become apparent as you get more skills and more time on the water.
I agree with Ellen on the waist vs seat harness issues. If you are doing OK with a seat harness and you are not wave sailing or sailing really small boards and rigs, the seat harness gives you the best leverage.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote