Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th August 2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Jens Berger

Default Carbon vs wood: durability?

Hi Folks,

Now that you have a new construction method the inevitable question of durability comes up I guess? I know it's early days, but what the concensus on which construction will handle the rigours of wave sailing better? I've been riding my technora Evo since 2003, and now that I'm about to update I'm after something that will be equally long lived, so do I go carbon or wood?

A friend of mine creased his carbon kevlar waveboard (made by one of your competitors) after only 1 season, and while he got a replacement under warrantee, it's not ideal of course.

Cheers, Jens
Jens Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

The idea is that the Wave Carbon boards should be as strong. Lighter but with stronger materials so therefor more expensive. So its more weight vs money than weight vs strength.

But in practice there is no way of _really_ knowing, I would say. I've put mine though some hard sailing, on the rocks, collisions and stuff, and it handles that well. And of course a lot of strength testing have een done before production. But the wood dur-x constructions is _proven_ for many years with very, very low warranty rates. So if durability is your no 1 priority I think it is a wiser decision to go with wood.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Jens Berger

Thanks Ola-sounds sensible.
Jens Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 08:04 PM   #4
van

Hi Ola

My question is the following. You only offer the wood carbon construction in the models that are going to get pounded more often from waveriding, jumps, freestyle tricks yet on the iSonic/Futuras where the weight of the board must be kept to a minimum you don't. Why is that?

I have a Futura 93 2008 model which I am in love with. Recently I had the opportunity to compare it with a JP super sport 100 2009 PRO model. When comparing the 2 I wouldn't change my Futura over the JP board on the design side. But when you lifted the 2 boards the difference in weight is immense. I would say that the JP board was about 0.5 kilos lighter and my board was with no fin at the time whereas the JP board had a G10 33 cm fin fitted on it.

I have spoken to many guys on the beach about this topic and it is common knowledge that although Starboard are ahead of the game when it comes to board design unfortunately when is comes to board construction JP have lead the way for a long time. I thought that wood carbon would close the gap a bit but why not offer it on the models that need it most??

Above you said 'So if durability is your no 1 priority I think it is a wiser decision to go with wood.' If that is the case I would have thought that you would offer the wave/freestyle boards (where durability is a top priority) in wood/technora and the freeride/slalom boards in wood carbon etc etc.

Regards Van
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 03:59 PM   #5
van

PS your 2008 website in the search archive doesn't seem to work
Old 27th August 2008, 02:42 AM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Right, the dur-x wood (and technora) constructions have super low warranty rates and that is proof of their strength. The Futuras and bigger Kodes are lighter weight constructions already in wood. So on these bigger and lighter constructed boards, there is simply less weight to loose if you go with carbon while the extra cost would be as high or higher (more area to cover). I don't have any direct insights in how decisions were made, but my guess is that in the Futura range, it was just decided that the rather small weight loss would not improve the boards enough for it to be worth it. The decision might also have been influenced by that in real world testing with iSonics in current wood construction and proto carbon construction, the carbon boards were not faster (and this is the reason why there are no carbon iSonics). It seems the wood construction, though not the lighters around, is still very fast. Maybe Futuras of different constructions were also tested, but this I don't know.

There is also the argument that in advanced wave and freestyle sailing, the board is moved around a lot by the rider and this actually could make low weight (at good strength) more important than in straight line sailing.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 04:19 PM   #7
van

Hi Ola

Thanks for your response. All I can say is that it is common knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the lighter the board is the quicker it'll plane and the more responsive it'll be which undoubtedly would benefit any board. Obviously price would come into play here so it would only make sense to offer it on the top range boards like the iSonics and Futuras. Anyway I guess marketing comes into play here and I'm sure next year we'll see them being offered in wood/carbon.