Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 6th October 2006, 06:14 AM   #1
Matthew

Default Boom Height

The Go discussion on the other board raised an interesting point Roger, How high do you put your boom?

Does it change when you are trying to get maximum planability out of big gear (I'm asking in terms of my 11.0 retro and F-Type 158), what about when it gets a bit windier?

While we're at it, how about harness lines, how long do you like them for a given situation ?

Thanks,
Matthew
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Boom Height

Hello Matthew,
I'm 5' 6" tall (167.6 cm) and I weigh around 170 lbs. (77.1 Kg.).
I like to run my boom just so I can get my chin over it with the rig held pretty upright. This is for sails in the 7.5-9.5 m2 range.
For larger sails, the boom needs to be a little higher.
I use adjustable harness lines and I would estimate they vary between 22" and 25".
With smaller sails(5.6 m2 and smaller) and a waist harness I use much shorter line, probably in the 18-21" range.
For larger sails, upwind, you need your lines short, but as soon as you try to head off the wind, you need them longer.
That's the real beautiy and functionality of adj. harness lines, you can make them whatever length is the most comfortable for the conditions.
I'll try to remember to measure how high I run my booms and how long my harness lines really are this weekend.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Matthew

Hi Roger,

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for. I think the chin measurment is more relevant than anything absolute given the non-uniform nature of the human shape. I've been using my boom much lower than that, I'll give that height a shot tomorrow when the wind blows through.
Thanks,
Matthew

PS It took you OVER 15 minutes to answer my question, whats that about?
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Matthew,
Sorry for the "long delay".
You were just lucky.
I'm still traveling, and when I'm driving 8-12 hours per day, you either "get lucky" (as you did) or you have to wait until I stop somewhere.
I've got to get a satellite link somehow, so I can stop in rest stops or truck stops and "keep up" with the forums.
I'd like to stay current with the forums all the time, but lately I've been working, doing Trade Shows, demos. etc. almost non stop so I get a little behind at times.
That's what's up with thatB)
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote