Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 14th October 2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Floyd

Cool Board wind-range and weight.

Hi
Isnt it time some kind of allowance/explanation was made on site for variations in rider weight for wind range of various boards.
For example the kode 86 is quoted as having a windrange of 4.0 to 6.0(sail usage).
Now I`m pretty sure the board would not be ideal when coupled with a 6 metre and my 95k rider weight.
On the other hand I do think the Kode 102(sail range 5 to 7.5) would work quite well with a 4.5 when carrying 95k plus.
Neither of these "opinions" are born out in specifications.
My own Evo 92 works great (for me) easily down to 4 metre but struggles with anything over 6. (sail range 4.5 to 6.5)
It could lead to heavier riders buying wrong board or not buying a board that could be ideal. ( heavier mate of mine has a fantasic time on kombat 105 in 4.5 weather;which I think is out of "ideal range" of board.
Whats teams opinion on rider weight affecting board range ???

Does heavier rider decrease both upper and lower limits ? (ie range is same) I think it does???
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

My take is that both upper and lower sail ranges of a board changes with rider weight. Of course, other things, like sail type, skill and preference might have just a big an effect, but for a "given" rider (conceptually speaking, one given rider can not, at least not at the same time, have more than one weight) sail range vary with rider weight.

But in my experience, it is not as easy as a simple shift. This follows from another fact, namely that for a given board type and saior, there is often one board size that give the maximum sail range. A bigger board will loose more on the high wind side than it will gain on the light wind side. And vice versa with a smaller board.

But the question is of we should create som kind of schemata showing this? I'm not sure its such a good idea since there are also all the other variables (skill, preference etc) that is kind of hard to quantify. Maybe a sensible way to do it is to just hint that the rec sail sizes are just indications for a "general" rider.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Agree with Ola : too many variables are at play to simply feed everything into a 2 dimensional table. The same gear may not work as good as intented for a super light/light/medium/heavy/super heavy weight rider simply because the wind range is shifted toward more high wind with increasingly wind force and rider weight. Optimal balance and trim between rider weight, wind force, sail size, fin size, board's and sail's shape is almost endless with a single and unique gear.

I believe rec sail size are given as an indication for an average rider's weight of 75 kg.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 04:57 PM   #4
Floyd

Wink

Which is fine if you happen to be an average weight rider.(Whatever that is?)

I agree an explanation and or a table would be overly complicated and probably confuse the issue even further but the simple fact is that the quoted windranges (guide or not) are infact wrong for many riders.

We do this every time more objectivity is called for.Fog the issue with statements about variables and complications.(Heard same argument for measurment of sail sizes;mast stiffness;board volumes etc etc) Its what we always say.(Then go on about rider experience;application; etc etc) We introduce the variables to further the argument !

At my sailing weight (about 103k) I`ve learnt to ignore manufacturers guides.I find them out myself ! It normally leads to some "expert" (lightweight ; both senses of word) approaching on beach and reminding me that the k105 isnt really good for sails under 5 metres. Sorry it is !!!Its superb ! (For me) (To be honest I find it better in 5 metre weather than Evo 92.(or perhaps better suited to my weight/skill/conditions etc etc)

It really has to be blowing hard and constant for me to get any benefits from going smaller.
That is not born out in guides.
If I followed guides (for wind ranges)I should be on perhaps Kode 80 ? (for 5 metre days)
By experience I still need(or its nearer "ideal") around 95 litres on 5 metre days.
Perhaps its just me ????
What do other 100k+ riders use in 5 metre weather ?
Old 16th October 2008, 05:46 AM   #5
choco44

Interesting question, i was visiting my brother in law in Melbourne last week who is a keen cyclist,he took me down to his local bike shop and showed me the latest carbon bikes($10,000+).
We then watched a guy being "fitted" to a bike he wanted to purchase,his bike was setup on rollers and a computer system setup with cameras and sensors and the guy simply rode the bike and they made changes to the seat post/added longer neck to the handle bars etc until it was setup to his own body style.
It would be very easy to create a fitting system for windsurfing boards and sails! a simple program which takes in height, weight,type of sailing,harness line length,fin size,board volume etc and wind range would help people go a long way in choosing the right setup for the wind range they intend to sail.
People love technology
choco44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 02:20 AM   #6
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Floyd,

I don't agree with you that the wind range of boards are at best misleading or worse, deliberately wrong.

Some example. A 105 kg pal is using a Carve 162 + 52 cm stock fin + 9.5 sail in 12-18 knots of wind. I would be using such a combo in 7-12 knots of wind for my 65 kg; for 12-18 knots, I'm on a Kombat 86 + 30 cm fin + 6.9 sail.

Is the wind range of the Carve 162 above wrong ? Is it wrong to say that the Kombat 86 cannot be used by a 105 kg pal as of 12 knots of wind? Of course not... rider's weight does matter.

Just from the guesswork described above, one can estimate that a rider would need 1m2 of more sail surface for each 10 kg more of body weight.

Things get more complicated for a sinker : I need 20 knots of wind to get planing with an Acid 62 liters + 5.4 m2 sail but I strongly doubt it will be the same with my 105 kg pal. Is the wind range of Acid 62 wrong ? Of course not...BTW, Acid 62 rec sail starts at 4.7 m2, something certainly valuable for an average 75 kg rider but not necessarily true for a 65 kg rider.

Conclusion : wind range are an indication given for an average rider weight of 75 kg. My guess is that such a figure is the world average weight of a 30 years old male population according to some WHO (?) statistics. Average male weight is of course higher in USA (i.e., due to higher incidence of obesity) and lower in Thailand for example. Hence the choice of an average rider's weight to get a reference at some point in the big picture.

Would you have a better proposal as a rider's weight reference ? Why ?

Cheers !

JM
Old 17th October 2008, 02:36 AM   #7
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Choco44,

I don't think an one-size-fits-all computerized system will solve the problem. I just love using extra long 32 inches long harness lines with a race seat harness + lower hook with my 2 largest racing sails. I'm using 28 inches long harness lines with either small racing sails + race seat harness or small wave sails + chest harness + higher hook.
These are typically 4 variables (harness line lenght, harness type, hook hight, sail type) a computerized system cannot take into account just for everybody. I'm pretty sure another 65 kg x 183 cm rider will use a completely different setup with the same gear (some of my friends do like extra long harness lines, other just hate them. Same with chest harness or race seat harness, some just love waist harness).

Cheers !

JM
Old 17th October 2008, 05:06 AM   #8
Floyd

Cool

Hi Jean-Marc
I never said they were deliberately wrong.
I said they were wrong for a lot of riders.Obviously they are fine for many.
Just think there should be allowance mentioned/made to indicate that in some instances (generally for riders towards either extreme of weight) the ranges quoted may well be innapropriate.
Its pretty well accepted heavier riders cant carry as big sails (on smaller boards) yet they can use biggish boards with under the minimum rig size quoted.(with sufficient wind)
Read on some other thread today about Ian Fox saying he prefered (dont quote me on this I`m trying to remember exact statement) I think it was k95 over k85 in 5 metre weather; the k95 was in theory out of its sweet spot on sail size and 85 exactly in it.

If the ranges are correct how come so many sailors do sail well out of them ? Like I mentioned earlier my Evo 92 with 95k+ on it does NOT work in any way you could call ideal with over a 6.Yet it works fine with a 6.4 carrying 65k.There is simply no mention of this anywhere on SB`s site !

Boards DO have different wind ranges for different weights.(Pretty obviuos really !)
Old 17th October 2008, 05:35 AM   #9
mim

Default I still donīt get the point of the discussion

Hi,

I just have to ask again why does it matters so much? All of you guys writing to this thread have more than one board, rigth? And as you bought your first board you discovered what is the favourite sailsize for the particular type and volume...and if you want to go down or up you take a look at the range given by SB and you go for a board having the same sail range (relativly)...so what for is this forum...and the reply just to know why, or to help people without any experience....this is not helping, at least I think so.

There was already mentioned that all other things are important.
Everyone who buys a new board gos and try in the conditions what it was made for and if he realize that the sailsize is not OK, take another one. And if there is not other one...only thing that left is to try harded and donīt give up to learn how to use it with the sails you have.

And I have to add one personal thing...there are days that I go with the biggest sail for my Aero 117 or smallest sail (or even smaller) for ST137 and I like it. And there are days when I do opposite and it is better that way. It depends strongly on spot, waves, chop size and orientation, if the wind is gusty or not etc.

I am not lightweight (in neo...95kg). And observed that it very much depends on conditions than on a sailsize.

Ciao Michal.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Floyd

Mim
Going on interest in this thread there are a lot of folk interested in relationship between rider weight and a boards windrange.
Wont say the obvious.!
Take care
Windy tomorrow !