Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 22nd October 2008, 01:25 AM   #1
erik

Default problem with tuning isonic 86

Hi guys,

I have a problem with the isonic 86.
My front foot is floating when i'm sailing this board.
I tried lowering my boom, make my lines longer, give less downhall. Nothing works.
i sail the rs slalom 6,7 and 5.8 on this board.
Any suggentions? ( footstraps or mastfoot position?)

greetings from holland

erik
erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Chris Pressler

Hi Erik,
get your mastffoot placed further in front. As well you should fix the footstrap on the outside at the back. Which finsize are you using? Perhaps the fin is too short. I would recommend a 34 for Slalom.
Whatīs your weight? Your mentioned sailzises fit perfect to the board. Do you use really long harnesslines?

Just come back with the infos letīs find out the reason, why you feel uncomfortable on the Isonic 86.

All the best,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 04:53 AM   #3
erik

Default problem with tuning isonic 86

Hi Chris,

I use a 36 or 34 with the 6.7 and 34 or 32 with the 5.8

my weight is 93 kg. My harness lines are the lenght of my underarm or a little more.

Can it help to place footstraps back. Now i have the straps all the way outside and in the middle position.

greetings from holland
erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 05:04 AM   #4
Chris Pressler

That all sounds fine, Erik. The fin sizes are perfect. Get your mast foot forward, in front of the sweet spot by 2 cm at least. Do not move the footstraps back. Itīs just necessary for a very light person. Try to find a good balance of the board now with teh new mast foot position. The nose should stay down. Concerning the straps: if itīs very choppy, reduce the distance in between the front and backstrap. Sure you cam play around with different footstrappositions. But sail the board with the mastbase further in front. I would suggest to change only one part of your system.
You could get a video doen and we could discuss your position on the board.
Hope I can help you to feel fine on the iSonic 86.
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22nd October 2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Marko

I do not want to bash your sails but...

I know many racers who use NP racesails and complain all the time about front foot floating. Most of them just got used to that.

It has been a long time since my last NP sail (RS4) and I remember having the same problem with sonic100. It was a little bit less if I cranked the downhaul a LOT, but then the sails did not work very well. After I changed the sail, everything was perfect again.

I tried is86 with Vapor 6.7 and did not notice this problem at all.

Cheers
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Jesper Orth

Hi Erik

Chris and Marko has good points, what to do about your "floating" front foot problem. For slalom sailing it is one of the most annoying things to experience.

The Isonic 86 is a very comfortable and fast board. There is nothing wrong with this board. It has a good balance on the foot pressure (front foot/ back foot)

I think your problem is more (90%) towards your rig/sail. If the balance in the rig is wrong, you will get this problem you are talking about, where you have to much pressure on the back foot and nothing on the front one.

Best thing now is to try another rig/sail from some friends, and you more likely quickly fell the different in stance/ balance that you get on the board, from whatever sail brand you try. They all have slightly different balance.

This testing can hopefully convince that it is not the board that is a problem.

For the tuning of your sails, I don't know them specific. But it sounds like you did all the right things (less downhaul, boom down, mast track slightly forward, OK fin size, longer harness lines etc). - maybe less outhaul?
What boom are you using?
Jesper Orth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 02:11 PM   #7
Marko

Jesper, you ask about what boom he use... Do you think it can make a difference?

I notice that you are team rider for Aeron booms. What do you like about them?

I just got Aeron carbon boom but I did not try it yet (it is an older 2007 model but with new wide tail end). I noticed that the head is very wide (similar to Pro-limit). It makes a lot of sense to me, rig can be more upright, your hands are straight on the boom (without twisting), easier gybing etc...

What I would like to know if is this shape also good for extreme overpower conditions? I noticed that I sometimes put my front hand all the way to the front to be closer to the rig (in big gusts). With Aeron head shape, I can not imagine how I would do that? Is it a problem?

Erik, sorry for stealing the thread....
Old 23rd October 2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Chris Pressler

Hi Erik,
I also use Aeron Carbon Race Booms, which feel really stiff, especially the this years version.
The front boombending is seet, feels easier to slip close to the mast whenshifting the sail inthe jibe and to me also easier to sheet in for a long time (keep the sail in the same position). Out of a technical view I guess that the construction is very strong. For instance the boomendpiece is fixed with massive screws.

Chris

Old 23rd October 2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Marko

Hi Chris!

I just checked you webpage. Nice!
I noticed that you use NP booms...Do you prefer NP to Aeron?

You say that new Aeron boom are stiffer. Is there anything wrong with older models (2007, red clamp)?

Thanks
Old 24th October 2008, 04:54 AM   #10
Chris Pressler

Hi Marko,
thanks, cool that you like the blog. Concerning the booms I use: I got support from Aeron last year a bit and this season 2008 more, but there were a mess until the booms arrived. Now I have them and now I use them. They feel stiff and compact. The 2007 are nice, too, but only had one 180+ carbon. The 2008 ones are wider at the end which seems to be more efficient. Out of my view the Aerons are really nice and strong. At one of my X9 NP some parts at the boomend broke out.
Guess there are differences in the price, but can recommend the Aeron booms, also for wave and freeride. Boujmaa and Victor use them in waves.

Chris