Old 28th October 2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Ray Timm

Default Board Storage

Hi Roger,

How are you doing? I'm still here in Saudi so the question might seem a bit strange. A friend of mine from the middle east moved to Wyoming and he's wondering if it will affect his boards to be stored in an unheated shed with possible temperatures of -40 F. What about masts and booms? My first inclination would be that it isn't going to bother the carbon components, but it might affect the board?

Ray
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 12:03 AM   #2
crazychemical

if it's in a closed and thick enough boardbag the isolative material of the bag will keep the cold out and keep the board fine. If he want to be sure, let him open the airvent a little. As long as it's stored dry it will be fine. I have no idea how cold -40 F is but here in Belgium and Netherlands where i keep my board temps are currently falling to 3-4 C at night and as long as our boards are kept in the bags when it starts to freeze they should be fine. I've kept my GO without BBag like forever like that and have seen winters with -3 at night and the board is still fine.
Old 29th October 2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ray,
Good to hear from you again!
I sort of agree with CC here, but the key to all of this will be to be absolutely sure there is no moisture (and never has been any moisture) inside the core of the board.
If the board is stored at - 40 deg. in Wyoming, even with the vent opened, any water inside will freeze and this could cause delamination.
If your friend has access to a vacuum pump, it would be a good idea to remove the vent plug, make a fitting to fit and put a partial vacuum on the core of the board to "boil off" any moisture. I can get you the "safe" vacuum levels if you send me the descriptions of the boards.
Keeping them in bags would help a little, but in those kind of temps you get "cold soak" that creates things like the permafrost in the Yukon and Alaska so in an unheated shed
the temps will really get down low, even in bags.
You are correct, it won't hurt the carbon components, but if there's a way to get the boards up into the attic or somewhere warmer, it would be better.
Vents need to be open in any case.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote