Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd November 2008, 02:47 AM   #1
sauls

Default Board repairs (2008 Starboard Futura 133, Technora)

I damaged the nose of my board from a catapult or 2 and after going through the Starboard repair info and Eva's (boardlady.com) website I still have the following questions:

What is Technora?

What are the advantages of this fibre/why is it used?

Is the Technora used on the inside or the outside of the PVC foam?

On the Starboard web site technology page, the board drawing seems to indicate that the Technora is only used in certain places (nose, foot areas). Do you know what areas for the board mentioned above?

If it is damanged, what should Technora be replaced with?

Once the outer layer of fiberglass is sanded off of the dent, is there a way to tell if the layers of fiberglass below the PVC foam will require replacement? I don't want to excavate that far if I don't have to.

How narrow can a repair be (On my board, I'm thinking about the line from the dent to the decal?

When a dent is not very deep (say 1/32Ē or so) without any puncture, what layers are typically being damaged? (I.e. What layers have reached yield point?) Is it typically limited to the outer fiberglass and the PVC foam layer?

On my board, I am having trouble understanding the "crack/line" of damage that goes from the dent back to the decal? This cracked area would have been subject to less stress than the depressed area so I canít see why it would crack. Have you seen this type of damage before? What are the chances itís just the outer paint?

Thanks
S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1669 with windows.jpg (91.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1661 smaller.jpg (94.8 KB, 49 views)
sauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:17 PM   #2
kennatt

your damage is typical after a hard hit firstly you need to repair using epoxy resin and I would suggest trying to get hold of some carbon fibre cloth as its much stronger than most other fibreglass cloths.You don't need to use technora but if you can get it fine.I'm afraid that to repair you need to be brutal you will need to take off a lot more of the surface area then you think .You basically need to get back to sound surfaces under and on top before you can do the laying up and wetting out of the fibre glass cloth. Not sure about your board but most of the boards I have repaired have the foam core,a layer of hard foam then fibreglass,carbon, technora ,wood or whatever ,cloth wetted out with epoxy resin then a hard gell coat,then paint the on the top of the board none slip,Once you open out the damaged area you will see how far into the board you need to go,Its not complicated but if you are not used to working fibre glass resin,then you might struggle.The biggest problem you are going to have is that you will be hard pressed to get a good cosmetic finish, The structural side is easy,its the finishing off that takes the skill,The problem is that when you sand back the repaired area inevitably you take off about two inches of paint either side of the crack, The crack you talk off will have damaged the gell coating at the least,and probably the fibre layer as well sand it back to have a look.\If you are indoubt suck on the crack and if you can suck air then its through to the core.If not then you are lucky.Board lady's site is good for seeing what to do but it depends how skilfull you are . Isnt there a repairer in your area,Its a new board and a shame to loose value if the repair isn't cosmetically finished you're wiping off about half of the value.Where abouts are you. If in uk can guide you to a couple of guys who can repair and you will not see where they have been they even have access to new graphics.Good luck

Last edited by kennatt; 5th November 2008 at 11:22 PM.
kennatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 10:06 AM   #3
sauls

kennatt, thanks for the offer to dial me in to a repair guy. Unfortunately,I'm a few time zones away in over here on the West coast of Canada.

How do they replace the graphics? Can they get new decals or something? How do they apply them to the board?

Saul
Old 8th November 2008, 02:05 AM   #4
steveC

sauls,

You might want to contact the Roberts factory, as I believe they are located in BC. While they may not perform repairs, I bet they can direct you to someone in the area to help you.

Your other choice, though a bit expensive, is to ship your board to Eva, the BoardLady, in Ventura, CA.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 12:03 AM   #5
kennatt

hi sauls they get the graphics direct fron starboard,they are simply stuck onto the board and the non slip applied over the top. Some boards have painted on graphics and the guys buy a template from the manufacturs and stick this on the board and spray the graphics on. If you go onto the sb site they give you the correct spray colours(or used to its a while since I looked) in pantone colours,Not available in uk but it can be matched here in motor factors paint suppliers, I would honestly take the advice of steve ,your board is too new and too valuable(bearing in mind all boards are going up since cobra factory put the price of their blanks up) to risk messing it up. Apart from the repair as previously said cosmetically you need to be able to spray paint as well as prepare,Spray cans are very difficult to use ,again unless you are used to them, You will get runs and sags and the resultant mess. Board lady could probably get your board to look as new. Good luck with it

Last edited by kennatt; 10th November 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10th November 2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Unregistered

Rob could fix fix your board and you would know its done right.
Old 10th November 2008, 05:05 AM   #7
Unregistered

Furthermore you could buy a Roberts next time and the nose could withstand some impact.
Old 11th November 2008, 02:17 PM   #8
kennatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Furthermore you could buy a Roberts next time and the nose could withstand some impact.
what are you doing on this forum then
Old 14th November 2008, 07:43 AM   #9
Mike T

Sauls
You could attempt the repair It might not be to bad but it depends on how skilled you are and if you have the right tools. Like Kennatt said, the glass work is easy the finish work takes time and not so easy to make it look new again. I would contact Roberts Custom boards and have them repair it. Especialy since the board is so new. Also after you get it repaired get a foam nose guard to protect the nose in the future. Starboard makes them and so does Northshore Inc. in Hood River That way if it does take another hit it will not be as bad and it's easy to get the foam pad off to do another repair if need be. Good Luck Mike
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 12:17 PM   #10
sauls

Guys, thanks for the great advice. I definitely do want a good looking repair. As you have suggested, the board is too new to experiment on. I have found a person close by who has done sandwich construction board repairs. I have spoken with previous customers who had similar damage and they have been quite happy with his work. I took it in last week and will be picking it up next week.

I like the idea of applying a nose protector and I'll be sailing with a Chinook Deviator once I'm back on the water.

December sailing here I come! (Just picked up my Dakine cold weather mitts)

Thanks Again
Saul