Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th November 2008, 08:58 PM   #1
unforgettable

Default Suggestion on Kodes 102 vs 112

Yet again another "common " questions that comes after reading forum and having tried myself different boards.
I am 85 kilos can power gybe, tack, I am interested in wave although I am not very competent in that...still in the learning curve . I own a 80 evo 08 which I sail from 5.3 down to 4.2 in typical mediterranean onshore conditions. I am hyper happy of this board as it has room for improvement for my level of ability.
The problem is my other board for lighter wind which I use in 6.2 and 5.8 ( sometmes 5.3 if wind is not consistent in formed sea) . Atr the moment it is a Kombat 112. I use this board either on a lake with 6.2 ( 16 kts) and choppy conditions or ( much better if possible) at sea when I am scared to be left outside by a "byebye" wind !!!. I am not a "serious" freestyler and I bought the 112 to cover the huge gap among the 2 boards. I am happy with it on lake but when it comes to Jump in 20-22 kts at sea I feel it 2 big ( I have also a fsw fin 27cm). Unfortunately I have never tried a kombat 105 or a kode 102 that would be my altedrnative and the only concern I have ( here comes the question) is about volume and widht . 85 kg + 8 ( board) + 10 ( rig) would make the total 103-105.....have I very limited chances to plane in 16kts with my 6.2? if I want to stay within 2 boards and cover the conditions above described shall I stay where I am or try ( ) and experiment a smaller size?
thanx for any suggestion you might have
unforgettable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 02:37 AM   #2
James

Unforgettable- If I were you I would keep the Kombat 112, because at 85 kg, a 102 would not be enough security for "byebye" wind. To make it more comfortable in strong wind and rough water, I would experiment with different tuning, like adding extra downhaul to the sail, adjusting the footstrap widths and positions, and trying short, low-aspect ratio fins that will calm the board down but won't spin out.

Examples of fins that might work well:
http://www.trueames.com/wind_select....products_id=19
http://surfingsports.com/freeweed_10.asp

If that doesn't work, you might think about getting a board between the 80 Evo and the 112 Kombat. Maybe a 90 Evo. Even though it would still be too small to uphaul, you could begin to use it in lighter winds and with the 5.8.

Good luck.
James is offline   Reply With Quote